cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does the R5M2 support PCIE 4.0? Are faster writing memory cards worth it?

cgliden
Apprentice

Looking to buy new CFExpress type B cards to use with my R5, and the R5M2 when I am able to get one. Currently trying to decide if it is worth getting faster cards (I.E. Prograde Cobalt vs Iridium vs Gold) for the extra cost. Barring read speeds for transferring to computer, will I see a noticeable difference in performance from these cards? Same goes for SDs for shooting JPEGs to as redundancy...

2 REPLIES 2

cgliden
Apprentice

Are faster writing memory cards worth it* (Typo from title)

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

You can edit the title or post.  Just use the drop down arrow and select edit from the context menu.  

If you by the faster cards, they will be backwards compatible with your R5.  I just spent over $600 on  four memory cards.  They're expensive. It's part of photography.  You can buy based on your needs.  As long as the cards you're looking at, meets or exceeds the read / write requirements either for the FPS or video codec you're shooting with, you'll be fine.  I'd follow the card recommendation in the user guide.  I always err on the side of caution and go faster to be on the safe side.  The way you can save a little money is not buying a 1 or 2 TB card.  AngelBird and Prograde cards are on sale quite a bit.  I think I picked up AngelBird and Sandisk this last time around.  

Just go with AngelBird you'll be fine.  The Mark II supports 2.0 standard.

Slot 1: CFexpress Type B (CFexpress 2.0) [2 TB Maximum / VPG-400 or Faster Recommended]
Slot 1: SD/SDHC/SDXC (UHS-II) [V90 or Faster Recommended]

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements