cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon GP-E2 on Canon 7D: camera won't recognize GPS

Aaplmike
Apprentice

Hello. I bought a GP-E2 for my Canon 7D in the hope of capturing and attaching coordinates to the meta data in the photos I take.

I've attached the unit to the camera via a USB cable, but when I go to the "GPS Device Settings" menu, it says, "This menu cannot be displayed. GPS unit is not connected."

Well, I obviously have the unit attached and powered on. Since this is a 7D, the hotshoe connection won't work with the GP-E2, hence the USB cable, as described in both the camera and GP-E2 manuals.

I've also tried to attach the GP-E2 to the USB port on the WFT-E5A, but the WFT Settings -> USB device connec. option tells it's an "Incompatible USB device". Huh? It's a friggin' Canon GP-E2!

I've tried several USB cables, and I'm wondering what else could be wrong. The GP-E2 does show up on my computer as a Canon GP-E2 when I connect it, so I believe that means the cable must be working.

Any ideas?

4 REPLIES 4

Peter
Authority
Authority

7D didn't have any support for GP-E2 when it was released. Support added with firmware version 2.0.0. Is your 7D updated?

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Do you have the latest firmware for your 7D? (Or at least 2.0.0)

Screenshot 2024-06-29 131229.jpg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

Aaplmike
Apprentice

Thanks. Yes, I have v2.0.6 installed on the camera. I wonder if the WFT-E5A and GP-E2 have updateable firmware.

2.0.2 is the latest for GP-E2. 1.0.7 for WFT-E5A

click here to view the gallery
Announcements