cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Battery Pack LP-E6P compatibility with EOS R6 Mark II

justadude
Rising Star
Rising Star

Quick question on batteries... I need another backup battery for my R6 Mk ll, which I've been using the LP-E6NH, and an older LP-E6.  Called the local camera store to see if they had any of the Canon brand LP-E6NH in stock, and they told me they only had the LP-E6P, which is the new and improved replacement.

I had not heard of this battery yet, so I looked at B&H, which specifies that this battery is ONLY for the R5 Mk ll.  Went to Canon's web site to look, and it does not clarify that this is only for a specific camera.

Does anyone know if the LP-E6P will work in the R6 Mk ll?  

Gary

Digital: Canon: R6 Mk ll, R8, RP, 60D, various lenses
Film: (still using) Pentax: Spotmatic, K1000, K2000, Miranda: DR, Zenit: 12XP, Kodak: Retina Automatic II, Duaflex III
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Tronhard
VIP
VIP

There is a firmware update out for a bunch of cameras, including the R6II that allows it to use the new LP-E6P, so download that and you can use the new batteries.

Firmware Notice: EOS R6 Mark II: Firmware Version 1.5.0 | Canon U.S.A., Inc.
As per the description of the update:
1. Enables functions to be used without limitation in conjunction with the new Battery Pack LP-E6P. This makes it possible to shoot at the same continuous shooting speed as when using LP-E6NH. In-camera charging of LP-E6P is also supported.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Tronhard
VIP
VIP

There is a firmware update out for a bunch of cameras, including the R6II that allows it to use the new LP-E6P, so download that and you can use the new batteries.

Firmware Notice: EOS R6 Mark II: Firmware Version 1.5.0 | Canon U.S.A., Inc.
As per the description of the update:
1. Enables functions to be used without limitation in conjunction with the new Battery Pack LP-E6P. This makes it possible to shoot at the same continuous shooting speed as when using LP-E6NH. In-camera charging of LP-E6P is also supported.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Thank you, Trevor!  I was unaware that 1.5.0 was out, so of course I didn't look at the updates included. I'm still on version 1.4.0.  

Since this is a firmware update, and I have a hired marathon event to shoot this weekend, something tells me to wait until Monday to update the firmware, just to be safe.  I've always had good luck updating firmware, but with my luck this would be the first time I would have a problem with it freezing up since it is right before a hired event - lol.

Gary

Digital: Canon: R6 Mk ll, R8, RP, 60D, various lenses
Film: (still using) Pentax: Spotmatic, K1000, K2000, Miranda: DR, Zenit: 12XP, Kodak: Retina Automatic II, Duaflex III
Announcements