cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Battery Grip BG-E22 Firmware Update Won't Load on EOS R5

cptiger44
Contributor

BG-E22 Firmware Update, Version 1.1.0 [Windows] will not load.  Existing software is 1.0.0. Camera on, BG on, file unzipped, on SD card.  Any ideas?  Thx  

10 REPLIES 10

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

See this Similar Thread.  The recommendation there is to remove the battery grip (and any other accessories) and see if the firmware can then be updated.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Thx so much for reply.  Removing the BG eliminates it from Firmware update window on camera menu.  Removing the lens had no effect.  I had no difficulty updating to vers 1.8.1.  The camera does not seem to recognize the firmware file on the SD card.  I retried procedure, redownload, unzip, transfer to reformatted SD card, Same result.

jwagner504
Apprentice

My problem is not withthe update for the camera, but for the battery grip.  The camera update (R5 1.7.0 -> 1.9.0) was successful.

The battery grip update fails with an error message indicating there is no firmware update on the card in the camera.  Current firmware version is 1.0.0.  The problem occcurs wth both 1.0.1 and 1.1.0 updates.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

The BG-E22 is not compatible with the R5.

The correct battery grip for the R5 is the BG-R10.  

Battery Grip BG-R10 (canon.com)

Its not possible to upgrade an accessories' firmware if its not compatible with the camera.  Lens, speedlight transmitter, battery grip, etc.   

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

Do you have the BG-E22 mounted on the R5? It shouldn’t fit. Please explain…..

Mike Sowsun

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

What is the file you load onto your card to do the firmware update.  Does it have a .FIR extension?
I have never come across a battery grip that needs a firmware update.  They have circuitry, but no logic boards with processors of their own.  As my colleagues have said the R5 takes only the BG-R10.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

There is a Canon firmware update available for the BG-E22 grip, but that grip only fits the EOS R.

Firmware Notice: Battery Grip BG-E22: Firmware Version 1.0.1 

Firmware Version 1.0.1 incorporates the following fix:

1. In some cases the battery may not be charged through the BG-E22 when using the PD-E1 USB power adapter depending on the condition of the battery being used.

Firmware Version 1.0.1 is for battery grips with firmware Version 1.0.0. If the battery grip's firmware is already Version 1.0.1, it is not necessary to update the firmware.

When updating the firmware of the battery grip, please review the instructions thoroughly before you download the firmware.

Mike Sowsun

cptiger44
Contributor

From what i remember, this BG-E22 firmware update appeared under the R5. So dutifully, I tried to load it.

My grip is a BG-R10!!!  What can I say?

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Hopefully this will help.

Firmware is only posted for the product its applicable to.  Camera, lens, printer, etc.  You won't see firmware for an accessory on the another product's support portal.  You have the correct grip, but somehow thought it was another model (BG-E22).     You stated you have a BG-R10.  There is no firmware for this product at this time.  

Enjoy the R5 and grip.  😃

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements