cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

52mm drop in is too big for my 600mm f/4

WayneS
Apprentice

I've been looking for a drop in polarizer for the used 600mm f/4 IS i I picked up, but I can't find one that fits. I'm assuming that the lens was in one of the first few batches produced since the serial number is 11XXX. I just got a PL-C52, but it is much too wide to fit into the filter housing that is inside the lens. The gel filter holder that it came with has very little room on either side of it (as you can see in the picture) and measures 4mm narrower in diameter than the 52mm drop in. Are there any drop in filters or filter holders out there that will fit?

600mm-1.jpg600mm-2.jpg

4 REPLIES 4

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Check out this link for the User Manual. 

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/lenses/support-lenses/ef-600mm-f-4... 

There might be different filter holders.  Click on the “Accessories” button.  You seem to have the correct model number but you could still be missing something.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

The early non-IS versions of the white telephoto primes use a 48mm drop-in filter but I thought all of the IS versions used the 52.  I don't have a 600 f4, but my 200, 300, 400, and 800mm Canon primes all have IS and all use the later 52mm drop-in.

This is a photo of the earlier lens version, shown (but discontinued) on Canon's HK site.

Rodger

PLC 48.jpg

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

Rodger, it looks like you nailed it! My filter holder has that same center button for the release of the lock. Now the search begins for one of those. Thank you so much.

You are welcome!  Probably one of the used places will have them showing up at times or on ebay because a lot of the earlier Canon lenses used that holder so plenty were sold.

Good luck with your quest 🙂

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements