cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ZR930 DV cable

wbogen
Apprentice

I have a ZR930 camcorder and want to download videos from mini DV tapes to my laptop.  I can't seem to find a cable anywhere that will fit the DV port on the camera and has a USB connector on the other end.  I called Canon and they were not helpful: "No longer support that camcorder".

If no one can recommend a specific cable, maybe someone knows the exact specs for the DV port (like, 'IEEE 1234') so I can try to find a cable supplier that can provide one?

Thanks for whatever help y'all might provide.

Stay safe and healthy.

4 REPLIES 4

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

There are two types of FireWire cables: FireWire 400 and then 800.  Different physical connectors.

While I never had a Canon miniDV camcorder, I did have a Sony.  Thankfully many years ago, I imported all the important footage (e.g. wedding) directly to my older Mac Pro that still had a FireWire port on it.

I then found some additional miniDV tapes.  But my iMac Pro only has USB and Thunderbolt3.  So I tried a miniFireWire to FireWire 800 cable connected to the cam.  Then a FireWire 800 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter connected to that, and finally a Thunderbolt 2 to Thunderbolt 3 adapter to the iMac Pro.  Refused to work.  No idea why.

So you'll need to provide some extra details on exactly what type of FireWire spec you're using and what laptop you have.  Perhaps there are some adapters that may work.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

I am not familiar with Firewire connectors and have no idea if the DV one on the ZR930 is Firewire.  Please see the attached photo (with a centimeter scale added).  If anyone can tell me what the specs are for a cable to fit it, I would greatly appreciate it.  Ideally, I'd like a cable with a USB on the other end, if such a thing exists.  Thanks.

Canon ZR930 DV port.jpg

That appears to be a mini FireWire connector.  The manual for your cam would probably mention if it's FireWire 400 or 800.

Do you still have your miniDV cable that came with the cam?   If not, the support pages for your cam model should list available accessories.

Having said all that, we'd still need to know what computer you are using and what ports it would have available.  But note that it can be a long shot to get the footage imported.  As I mentioned above, I was only successful when using the original cable that came with the Sony camcorder connecting to my old Mac Pro's FireWire port.  Past that particular model (I think it was my 2008 one), Apple stopped adding FireWire ports, so you had to deal with converters, etc.  I've had zero luck with those converters adapters with my iMac Pro.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

The manual does not describe the cable (wich is not provided) and, when describing transfers just says 'commercially avaialbe DV cable'.  My laptop is a Dell Inspiron 5575 and has two USB 2.0 and one USB 3.0 ports.  That's it.

Announcements