cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vixia G50 getting an audio artifact noise with movement

Murrtallica
Contributor

I picked up a G50 a few weeks ago and noticed last night while watching footage back that the audio starts to get an artifact noise when the camera and external mic shakes around or catches wind. . Here's an example of what the audio sounds like when I move the camera around. I played around with pretty much every audio setting on the camera, and the only one that made a noticable difference was the low cut setting. Am I missing a setting or is something else going on here? Audio sounds fine through headphones while recording, but the playback file always has this issue. I never had this issue with my r600 this replaced, so hopefully this can be resolved.

Thanks!

10 REPLIES 10

@Murrtallica wrote:

The mic that was the biggest offender was the Audio Technica PRO 24-CM. It's the one I used in those examples (though looking back those examples weren't great since the mic was being shaken around pretty heavily. I had some better clips where just me walking around in a park brought out that issue). 

Also had the issue (though not as severe) with a Rode VideoMic (the one with the 9v battery).

Yes, I could tell that listening to the audio sample. Is it any surprise that there was some handling noise ? Even with the Rode Videomic (I think you mean the original version) you'll pick-up some noise from the suspension O-rings flexing and rubbing on the shock mounting if you shake it around. And that gets worse as the rubber deteriorates over time, so changing the O-rings is the best policy if you are picking up more noise with normal handling. The Rycote lyre suspension system on the newer models is much, much better in that regard. But this has nothing to do with the camcorder.

Announcements