Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VIXIA HF R800, external mic not working

YSG
Apprentice

Hi everyone

I have a HF R800 mainly to record lectures, I also have a regular external mic,

when i plug in the mic, it stops to record audio, if I unplug the mic then the machine does record audio

also the mic works on other machines

please advise

Thank you

36 REPLIES 36

lewhulse
Apprentice

I am also experiencing the external mic issue.  I purchased a TRRS lapel mic, but apparently the external mic port is a TRS port.  I then purchased a TRRS to TRS adapter, but that was a waste of money since the expernal mic still didn't work.  I just received a TRS lapel mic but that doesn't work either.  

I do have a TRS external Takstar SGC 598 mic and tested that on the Canon.  The Takstar mic works.  So my conclusion is that the external mic port on the camera is a TRS plug and apparently you must purchase a mic that is battery powered.  The Quick Guide that comes with the camera explains nothing about the external mic requirements.  I cannot find any simple instructions as to which type of external mic is required with the HF R8000 camera.

cmill71
Apprentice

I have the VIXIA HF R600 and my external Rode Mic does not work as well. When I plug it in there is no sound recording and it does not show levels. If I slightly pull the jack out I get visual mic levels but it records audio faint in the background and with a lot of static. I purchased this camera within the last year but this is the first time I have tried to use the external mic. The microphone works wth a USB adapter so I know it is not the Mic.

Please advise Canon.

Richard
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi YSG,

Thanks for posting.

Your camcorder will accept just about any microphone with a 3.5mm stereo plug.  Because of the wide variety of microphones, we don't have specific recommendation for a brand or model of microphone, nor do we offer support for third-party accessories such as this.

Microphones should meet the following specifications: 3.5 mm stereo minijack -64 dBV (with 600 Ohms microphone)/5 kohm or more. Because this camcorder cannot provide "phantom" power for the microphone, an "active" microphone (requiring external power) must supply its own power.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I've had the same problem with two different third party mics via Amazon, and a Sony.  The question I have is not just powered or not, but does this require TRS (3 pole), or TRRS (4 pole)?  The documentation doesn't say, and it's not helpful because there isn't a "standard" 3.5 mm stereo plug.

TRS - Tip, ring, sleeve - so 3 pole
TRRS - Tip, ring, ring, sleve - ergo 4 pole

Or does the R800 accept both styles?

Yes, I'm having the same problem.  I purchased the Vixia HF R800 and I've returned it twice for failure of the mic jack.  The third one doesn't work either.  I've tried 2 unpowered/ passive mics that I've used on other camers, computers, and cellphones.  With the Vixia I just get static unless I pull the jack out just the right amount then I get static and a tiny bit of intended sound.  This appears to be a serious design flaw if three out of three are bad.  I'm very dissapointed, I kind of expected more from Canon.  The external mic jack is a requirement for me.  Could you please fix and inform your valued customers when it is taken care of?

Thanks.

I found a mic that works. 4 pole, TRRS powered. Go to Amazon and look for lavalier vixia R800. I would copy the link in here but can't get to it on my tablet.

Did you use it for a HF R800?

[link removed per forum guidelines]

Yes.  The Lav mic in the amazon.com link does work with the HF R800's external mic port.  No static or any other type of interference.  

I have this camera. Before I bought it, I confirmed with Canon that it will not power a microphone such as the Rode VideoMicro or other non-battery operated mics.

I use the Takstar SGC-598 with my R800. You can find it for less then $35 on Amazon. It works perfectly with my HF R800.

Announcements