cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VIXIA HF R800 Focusing Issue

bob_stl
Apprentice

I bought two VIXIA HF R800s to record my church's services. The problem that I have is that if I frame a round two people, one may be in focus and the other 2 to 3 feet away side by side will be completely out of focus. It seems like the depth of field is horrible. I don't mind so much if I'm zoomed in on the pastor and people 6 - 8 feet behind aren't in focus, but when people are within a foot or two different relative to the camera, I would like to have them both in reasonable focus than be able to see nose hairs on one and a big blur on the other.

I was thinking that I could turn off face detection, but I don't want to do that if the whole scene will be out of focus. I can't tell how in or out of focus something is on the little 2 inch, low res screen. Please, help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Tim
Authority

bob_stl, 

You will need more depth of field  in order to get more subject into focus.  We recommend using the manual mode.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Tim
Authority

bob_stl, 

You will need more depth of field  in order to get more subject into focus.  We recommend using the manual mode.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thanks Tim,
I was concerned about my ability with reading glasses and astigmatism in one of my eyes to manually focus using the little screen, but it worked out pretty well.

Bob
Announcements