cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VIXIA HF G50 Autofocus Problems

rcflyer
Contributor

I have a G50 that i used at an airshow yesterday. i had it on auto focus and it kept trying to focus on nothing in the sky which cause a lot of blurry images once i found the subject i want to video. i looked in the settings and can not find a infinity setting which would keep the focus at one setting to stop what i call hunting / searching . any thoughts? Also the image stabilization is terrible.    

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

rcflyer
Contributor

yes , i figured that after looking into it further . by pressing the AF/MF button and then turning the focus ring i was able to get it to infinity .20230615_084715.jpg 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

NatalyaP
Product Expert
Product Expert

Greetings rcflyer,

The camera does not have a function to lock in an infinity focus where it would then allow for it to auto focus on an object that comes into frame. You may try adjusting the AF Mode on the camera and choose Instant AF (I.AF) to see if this may help the camera lock on to a subject faster when it comes into frame. Page 57 of the user guide will provide the information on how to change this setting on the camcorder:

https://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/0/0300034200/04/vixiahfg50-im4-en.pdf

For image stabilization, the camcorder will work to stabilize the image while handholding the camcorder but please note there are limits to how much it can stabilize, depending on the amount of motion as well as how far the lens is zoomed. The farther the lens is zoomed in, the harder it is to keep the image stable.

i get the stabilization thing. i just hate having to wait till the camera decides to focus. by the time it does , the event is close to being over. i think i'll try turning off the auto focus and just using manual . 

IamintheUK
Rising Star
Rising Star

You will need to use manual focus for things like this. The camera probably uses contrast for the auto focus. Just pointing it at the sky gives it nothing to focus on so it will hunt until it sees something to focus on.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
EOS C100 mk2 with the Canon EF-S 18-135mm IS STM lens - Zoom H2n - Dell 8700 i7-4790 3.6Ghz, 24GB Ram, Win 10, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB - DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.6.6 - Blackmagic Speed Editor - Presonus Faderport 1 - DJI Ronin S

rcflyer
Contributor

yes , i figured that after looking into it further . by pressing the AF/MF button and then turning the focus ring i was able to get it to infinity .20230615_084715.jpg 

Announcements