cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HF M31 frame rate settings confusion

poit57
Contributor

I am confused about the frame rate setting in my camcorder.  I am trying to record sports activities at 60 fps, which I assumed is what setting Frame Rate to 60i should be doing.  It appears that this Frame Rate settings doesn't effect my recordings at  all.

I've tried 60i (standard), PF30, and PF24. All three options results in .mts files that my computer shows as 29.97 fps. This is shown within the Windows file properties and within Davinci Resolve that I'm using to edit the clips.

3 REPLIES 3

rhj09
Apprentice

Hi there,

Here’s a quick checklist to troubleshoot:

1. Camcorder Settings: Double-check that your camcorder is set to record in 60 fps (60i mode) specifically. Sometimes settings like resolution or compression can affect this.

2. File Display: The displayed frame rate on your computer might show 29.97 fps due to how interlaced video is processed. This is common even when recording in 60i.

3. Editing Software: Verify the project settings in DaVinci Resolve to ensure they match your camcorder's recording settings. This can affect how footage is displayed and edited.

Hope this helps!

Best,

Razi

1. I have tried all 3 available frame rates in both MXP recording mode and FXP recording mode.  The files behave the same way.

2. Windows and DaVinci Resolve as well as utility MediaArena.Net/MediaInfo all display the frame rate of each .mts files as 29.97 no matter the settings in the camera when they are recorded.

3. I have tested dragging one video into a blank Resolve project at a time.  The editor prompts to change the timeline. No matter which .mts file I give it, it DaVinci Resolve always sets the frame rate of the project for videos from this camera to 59.94i.

From what I can tell, the camcorder settings do not matter.  The videos are recorded at 59.94i no matter which setting I choose, and all software on my computer displays the frame rate as 29.97 despite DaVinci Resolve recognizing that the source video is 59.94i.

IamintheUK
Rising Star
Rising Star

Any frame rate that has an i at the end of it indicates that it is Interlaced. For instance, the number such as 60 indicates the number of fields not frames, so a 60i recording yields 30fps. If your camera is capable of recording Progressive video the frame rate will be shown with a p after it and it will be shown in the camera menu options. For example 30p.

Resolve is correctly showing the frame rate of the interlaced video files.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
EOS C100 mk2 with the Canon EF-S 18-135mm IS STM and EF-S 24mm IS lenses - Zoom H2n - Dell 8700 i7-4790 3.6Ghz, 24GB Ram, Win 10, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB - DaVinci Resolve Studio 19.0beta5 - Blackmagic Speed Editor - Presonus Faderport 1 - DJI Ronin S
Announcements