cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HF-G50 strange white balance issue

jbjewitt
Apprentice

I'm filming sequences using auto mode inside a spray booth under Daylight Blanced lighting. I fil a few sequences and then all of a sudden the images are almost sepia toned. I have to stop and re-start the camera to get it back to correct white balance. Any idea of what is going on. Sepianormal

6 REPLIES 6

Mark35mmF2
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi there,

It's tough to say exactly, but the camera must be changing what it is basing the white balance off of or, depending on the types of lights you are under, the camera might be syncing with a specific part of the light bulb's light cycle causing it to see only part of the spectrum outputting from the bulb. Does this also happen if you specifically set the white balance to daylight?

The problem is that if I go to manual mode to cahange WB, I cant find any setting that accurately reproduces the lighting as auto mode. I'll have to keep playing with this. 

Inapickle
Rising Star

Get a good quality, properly calibrated 18% neutral gray card and do a custom white balance off that.

Edit: One other thought. You said the spray booth is under daylight balanced lighting but are are you sure there is no extraneous/out of frame light source, being turned on/off Intermittently (a door opening even), that might be getting picked up or reflected off the subject matter and shifting the white balance ?

Thanks - that did the trick. I use Manual WB in the spray room now. 

I must say though, the instructions for setting the WB on the camera are not intuitive at all. It took me a while to figure out you need to use both the toggle menu button and then use the screen........

I have 25+ years experience with Canon  and still photography and their DSLR's are much easier to do adjustments. 

@jbjewitt wrote:

I must say though, the instructions for setting the WB on the camera are not intuitive at all. It took me a while to figure out you need to use both the toggle menu button and then use the screen........

I don't have an HF-G50 (have an HF-G40), but checking the user manual on line I don't see why you need to use the toggle menu button to set the WB. Looks like it can all be done with the touch screen icons (pages 26 & 47), in Manual mode that is.

Note that you can also dedicate one of the 'assignable buttons' for setting a custom white balance ('Set WB', pages 81-82), which you can't do on the HF-G40.

Please start a separate topic on this outlining the specific problems you're encountering.  This thread is almost 3 years old.  As always, links to footage or even providing still images when you create the new post would be great.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers
Announcements