cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon Vixia HF M500 vs R42?

bobpete
Apprentice

Hello,

I want to buy an affordable camera for shooting video and comedy sketches. I've been reading every where online that the M500 is a great steal. However I understand that Canon has added the R400, R40, and R42 respectively. Are these the newer version of the M500 or is the M500 still a better camera? 

I can't seem to find a comparison of the M500 vs R42, etc. Stating which one will be the way to go. My primary reason is that I'd rather buy the newer/improved model especially if they're planning to discontinue the M500. Please help and thank you for taking time to read this!

1 REPLY 1

Richard
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi Bobpete,

If you click here, you'll go to the website for these camcorders.  Once there, put a checkmark under up to three of the camcorders and click on the red "Compare Now" button for a side-by-side comparison.

The major differences between the VIXIA HF R40 and VIXIA HF R42 and the VIXIA HF M500 internal memory for the former 2 (8GB and 32GB, respectively.) 

The VIXIA HF R40 and VIXIA HF R42 also offer Wi-Fi connectivity, not offered by the VIXIA HF M500.

The sensor used in the VIXIA HF M500 is a newer and a bit more sensitive, capable of recording at 1.2 lux, vs. 5 lux for the VIXIA HF R40 and VIXIA HF R42.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements