cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon HF S20 resetting when battery or power is off

Feech24
Apprentice

I have a canon HF s20. If the camera doesn’t have the power supply plugged in or a battery clip on, the settings are lost & goes back to it’s base settings. Is there a  backup battery in the camera that holds the settings & if so is it replaceable?

4 REPLIES 4

IamintheUK
Rising Star
Rising Star

According to the manual, there is a lithium button cell for retaining settings. Whether you can access it or not I do not know. The manual suggests plugging in the power adapter, without turning the camera on, and leave it for 24hrs to charge the backup battery. If that doesn't work a replacement is required.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
EOS C100 mk2 with the Canon EF-S 18-135mm IS STM and EF-S 24mm STM lenses - Zoom H2n - Dell 8700 i7-4790 3.6Ghz, 24GB Ram, Win 10, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB - DaVinci Resolve Studio 19.0.1 - Blackmagic Speed Editor - Presonus Faderport 1 - DJI Ronin S

I will give the charging a try & see if it works.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Indeed it does.  Its a CR2025.

hfs20-s21-s200-nim-en.pdf (c-wss.com) (page 197)

It might be under the plate on the bottom of the camera.  Worth a look.  The camera is 14 yrs old and is no longer serviceable.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thanks. I did pull the bottom plate off & I didn’t see any button battery there, nor on the right side of the camera. At least on the surface.

Announcements