cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camera selection

Cgangnes
Apprentice
I am creating training videos for online distribution and am deciding which camera is best for this purpose. I have been looking at either the vixia r62 or the g30. I read a couple reviews that give the r62 a better rating at one-third the price.

I also am considering shooting with dslr if I can get a better result.

Any recommendations?
5 REPLIES 5

VideoGeek
Mentor

One thing that jumps out right away is the difference in the sensor size between the HF G30 and the HF R62. 

HF R62 sensor size: 1/4.85"

HF G30 sensor size: 1/2.84"

I wouldn't base a decision based soley on sensor size but I would think you would get better low-light performace with the HF G30 since it has a larger sensor and possibly better quality video. 

Also look at the focal length (35mm equivalent) :

HF R62: 38.5 - 1232 Optical Zoom

HF G30: 26.8 - 576 without Dynamic IS

You should get a wider field of view with the HF G30.

If optical zoom is important to you:

HF R62: 32x

HF G30: 20x (in HD)

If you are not going to record longer than 29 minutes 59 seconds* at one clip then a DSLR might be a good option.  Depending on which one you choose you would have the option for interchangeable lenses. 

*Panasonic offers one that will exceed that limit but at a much higher price (around $1700 without a lens)

I have a couple of HF G20's and have been very pleased with the quality of the video and the manual controls.  One can be had for around $900 ($800 if on sale). 

jazzman1
Rising Star

I got a refurb G20 for $650.00 at the Canon online Store.  And Canon refurb's get a full 1 yr, warranty, same waranty as new cams.

Cgangnes
Apprentice
Thanks fr the info. Just got a g20 and will give it a try. On sale at best it for $800.

The price in the Canon store goes up and down.  You just have to keep your eye on it regular and catch gear when it goes on extra discount.

JonKline
Enthusiast

Remember to budget for audio! All of those cameras can look great under enough light, but using the internal mic will not be good. You will want a microphone and probably also an external recorder.