cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VIXIA HF G70 Non-Standard USB Out

1RPS
Apprentice

Just purchased an hfg70 camcorder. It appears that the USB out is non-standard, not USB-C. The socket is oval at both ends and there is a tab in the middle which alone is wider than a USB-c plug. I have a variety of USB adapters, and none fit the socket. Is there another USB type that fits?

8 REPLIES 8

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

It must be USB-C, though I find it very odd (and annoying) that the User Manual (see page 76) only mentions USB and not USB-C.  That page also makes mention that you can use either an IFC-100U or IFC-400U cable.  When I visit those links, Canon only mentions "USB" and not the type.

It's definitely not type A or B and so I guess it must be C.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

1RPS
Apprentice

You are correct. I purchased a type-C cable and it fits. But there is another concern. It is color coded RED I assume because type C USB is for power transfer, not signal transfer. The cable I purchased has a regular (type A?) plug at the other end. I am afraid to plug the camera in without knowing what will happen. I do not want to fry the camera. Does the camera "know" it is not charging? Does the computer "know" it is looking for information not supplying power? My intention is to use the USB connection to transfer data from the camera to a laptop which has only 'standard' USB input. Or is this not possible without the Canon IFC-100 cable, which appears to have a type-C connector at both ends, and which the laptop lacks. Otherwise, is there some other interface device required to accomplish this? Or just forget the USB (I have no need to stream) and use a card reader?

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Although we are not there to see the cable you purchased, you will not hurt your camera connecting a USB-C cable in this case.  USB-C to USB-A.  Cable type and quality is important.  Just having the right connectors on each end doesn't mean it will work properly.  The PIN out configuration has to match the device.  However, you are not going to hurt the camera trying it out.     

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

redrob
Contributor

My G70 arrived and I've tried three USB-C cables with it.  All three fit the camera just fine.  (this is good!)

The Bad?   None of them seem to work with the camera. 😞    I've posted in a different thread about my problems with UVC not working and not being able to charge over USB with anything other than the power supply it comes with.  (I won't repeat here)

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Were you trying to connect to the USB-C port?  This is number 6.  7 is for power.  It looks like USB-C but is larger.

shadowsports_0-1670629988224.png

USB Cables have standards and ratings.  Some are for data, some power, some both and even then, you have to choose the right type with the correct rating for certain connections.  I'd buy one of the cables Ricky mentioned.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Holy Canoli, batman.. I totally missed the 2nd USB port.  That's helpful (thank you).

Regardless -- I could not charge the camera with USB cable and standard A/C brick, which means it probably needs the 9V output of their charging adapter to charge the camera.  A bit of a disappointment there still -- I mean, why did they bother re-engineering the power to be USB-C based if standard USB bricks/cords can't be used to charge/power it?

I can confirm the right-side USB port worked properly for UVC!  Thank you Shadowsport (so silly I missed that).  I only tested with a USB-C (USB 2 not USB 3) cable, but all was fine.

The only problem, which I view as a *significant* shortfall, is that it only appears to send video over UVC, not audio (does not appear as an audio device).  I have to believe that anyone using this for "live streaming" will want audio in their stream too!   (I realize that pros who are live switching will likely use HDMI out [which properly carries audio] and not UVC)

I hope Canon plans on addressing this in a firmware update, adding audio to the UVC output?

With only a half-baked UVC implementation, removing the mini-shoe and changing the power supply to be different from every other Canon HG camera prior [and not working with standard USB bricks), the only thing the G70 offers (IMO) over the G50 is a better display.   Seems like more negatives than additions over the G50 🙄      I dislike sounding negative, and I wanted to love it.. just offering my honest assessment.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Good news.  I don't see anything about charging / powering through the USB-C port, but it may very well work. 

I don't do studio work, so I use a 45w USB-PD that I got on Amazon.  $30 bucks, fits in a shirt pocket and runs for hours. There's also the Anker Power Core which is what Canon recommends for its MILC body's.  I have no idea what works with dedicated cinema cameras.  I agree with you on audio output.  You'll need to use the HDMI out for that.  It should work perfect.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements