cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

speedlite won't work with camera display on

Bluenoser
Apprentice

I have a Canon 70D. Just bought a Pro Series Digital SLR universal flash.  Flash works great, only if the display on the back of the camera is turned off.  Turn on the display, and speedlite won't fire.  Is there a setting somewhere on the camera to correct this?  I'm pretty new at this. Thanks.

7 REPLIES 7

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@Bluenoser wrote:

I have a Canon 70D. Just bought a Pro Series Digital SLR universal flash.  Flash works great, only if the display on the back of the camera is turned off.  Turn on the display, and speedlite won't fire.  Is there a setting somewhere on the camera to correct this?  I'm pretty new at this. Thanks.

What do you mean by "turn on the display"?  Do you mean Live View?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Yes. If live view is turned on, the speedlite won't work.

Does this flash support E-TTL?

Otherwise, did you set the camera to manual flash?

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@Bluenoser wrote:

Make sure the camera is in Liveview and not Video mode. Flashes only work for still photos not video.

karenmooney
Apprentice

Hello - I am having the same problem with my Canon T3i. Did you ever find an answer?

Hello karenmooney,

In order for Canon and the community at large to provide assistance we would need to know which brand of flash that you are using. The OP indicated they were using a third party flash which may have contributed to its not working properly. If you are not using a Canon EX Series Speedlite, we recommend this as a first line in troubleshooting.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Non-Canon "speedlites" will not work in Live View.

This is because Canon has designed the flash to not fire in Silent Shooting which is the default for Live View. 

A Canon brand flash will automatically disable Silent Shooting but a 3rd party flash will not. You will need to go into your 70D menu and manually disable Silent shooting.

If you have a Rebel or T6 type camera there will be no option and you will be out of luck. 

disable-silent.jpg

Mike Sowsun
Announcements