cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to use the canon 430EX II speedlite off camera with EOS RP?

Taproot88
Apprentice

Hello, i bought a 430EX II flash and find out that direct on camera flash is not good, after reading some guides about 

lighting decided to use it off camera but i don't know what else i need to buy

can you give me some advice?

what i know is that i have two options, a reciever or another speedlite to act as master so i can use the 430ex II as slave, but considering the cost of recievers one could buy another speedlite for that price, maybe i'm missing something here

i'm in Italy so if you could tell me what to buy after checkking if it's available on amazon.it  you would do me a big favor, thank you!

10 REPLIES 10

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

The easiest is a camera flash extension cable.

Thank you for the idea! They seem quiet short though 😔

The cord solution is the least expensive, but yes, the flash will be close to your camera.

If you need to have flashes at larger distances, you'll need either an optical or radio solution.   With your current 430 EX II, you'd need an optical (line of sight) solution.  So a second flash serving as an optical master would need to be on your camera.   Your flash could then be used off-camera as long as it can "see" your optical master.

You can have the most flexibility in going with a radio solution.   You no longer need line-of-sight as with optical so can place flashes almost anywhere in relation to your camera.  Here, you can either have a speedlight or radio transmitter on your camera.  Then, a flash that can be controlled via radio (e.g. 430 EX III RT, 600 EX RT, EL-5, etc.)

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Vello makes one that is 33 feet long. What distance are you trying to achieve?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

The speedlite may fire an AF Assist Beam if the camera can't lock focus. When its on the off shoe cord. The camera believes the speedlite is mounted on the camera and not on an off shoe cord. So this will need to be put into consideration if the OP using the speedlite in low light or low contrast situations.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L III USM, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L II USM, EF 50 F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS III USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D & Sigma 17-50mm F/2.8 EX DC OS HSM

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

yes i want to do portraits in a parking lot at night 

Have thought about buying another speedlite as a sender unit (master unit) with optical transmission. Such as the 550EX, 580EX, 580EX II, 600EX/ 600EX-RT, 600EX II-RT, EL-1 and EL-100. The older speedlites 550EX and 580EX can't be controlled from the camera menu only newer ones can. The in camera flash menu works with the 580EX II and newer speedlites. The 600EX series and the EL-1 support both radio and optical triggering. The EL-5 IS NOT COMPATIBLE with your camera. It uses a different hot shoe design. Make sure these speedlites are set to optical transmission. In this setup the 430EX II would be the receiver units (slave unit). The 430EX II can only be a receiver unit. The 430EX II ONLY supports optical transmission

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L III USM, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L II USM, EF 50 F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS III USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D & Sigma 17-50mm F/2.8 EX DC OS HSM

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

mainly portraits!

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Especially if you only have one flash. We can't link to products on this site.

Announcements