cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

disfuctional exposure

cammis
Apprentice

Hi everyone!

I'm having an exposure issue with my speedlight 600ex rt. I have two speedlights, same model and they both have the same issue after a year of use. No matter the adjust i select on manual mode it always give me full power. and it always under exposed on ettl mode. Other settings are all underexpodes as well. Does anyone knows whats goin on? How can i fix it? I already cleared the settings, changed batteries and tried on a different camera. Nothing worked.

3 REPLIES 3

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Is your camera set with a flash exposure compensation?

no its not.

@cammis wrote:

Hi everyone!

I'm having an exposure issue with my speedlight 600ex rt. I have two speedlights, same model and they both have the same issue after a year of use. No matter the adjust i select on manual mode it always give me full power. and it always under exposed on ettl mode. Other settings are all underexpodes as well. Does anyone knows whats goin on? How can i fix it? I already cleared the settings, changed batteries and tried on a different camera. Nothing worked.

The reason the speedlite underexposes in ETTL mode is that the ETTL algorithm takes the position that all flash is fill flash. IOW, it is highly averse to risking blown highlights. The result is that foreground highlights are correctly exposed, while the rest of the scene is underexposed. That's most conspicuous outdoors at night, where you can't correct for it by simply exposing for the ambient light. Indoors. what I've found works best is bounce flash, because it reduces the difference in illumination between foreground and background. You can either auto-expose for the subject in ambient light or manually set the aperture and shutter speed and let ETTL work out what the flash needs to provide. Either way can give decent results; you just have to decide which works best for you in a given situation.

I don't know what would cause the flash to always run at full power in manual mode, since there should be a menu setting for power level. That setting is on the flash unit itself; other than possibly in connection with flash exposure compensation, I don't think the camera has any control over the power level.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements