cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Triggering Speedlite 430ex with 540ez

BarnettP
Apprentice

Can anyone help me, I have a Speedlight 430ex (not the II) and I have a speedlight 540ez, Is there away I can tirgger them both at the same time if so how?

3 REPLIES 3

BarnettP
Apprentice

Forgot to mension I am using a Canon 60D body

The 540EZ is from an older generation flash designed for film use and it is not compatible with auto exposure in Digital photography. You can use it in manual mode but it is has no capability for master/slave using the Canon wireless system. If you use the built-in optical wireless function of your 60D to trigger the 430EX, there is no way to include the 540EZ. 

If you want to use both the 540EZ and 430EX at the same time you will need to buy some wireless triggers. I am really impressed with the Yongnuo YN-622C radio triggers. You would need a total of 3. 1 to act as transmitter on the camera and 1 for each flash. The beauty of these triggers is that you have the choice to use your 430EX in ETTL or Manual and still sync with the 540EZ in Manual mode. 

Three YN-622C triggers would cost about $150.

Mike Sowsun

+1 for the Yongnuo.  Though, since the 540ez doesn't have eTTL, you could also consider the RF-602.  They don't do eTTL, so consider carefully.  But I really like their simplicity, small size, and 1/4" thread on the bottom for attaching to stands.  I also like that you can get a set for both lights for under $50.

Choose carefully, if $50 means a lot to you then the 622 is the better investment.  But both have merits.  I own and use both regularly (I use the 602s unless I need eTTL, which isn’t often).  Both are also considerably cheaper than any option Canon has for you.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements