cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speedlite NW670C problems

Jakky
Apprentice

Hi everyone!

I am amateur in photography domain, and in the last time purchased Canon EOS 2000d (aka EOS Rebel T7 aka Kiss X90 aka EOS 1500D) and Speedlite NW670C flash, but on trying shoting in Manual mode (Av, Tv, P, or A+ from camera) photos is very dark (but flash working), and if put flash in manual mode, not working (not flashing) but data from camera is writen to flash display (zoom, focus)... it gives me the feeling that the flash is activated later.. I made all the combinations of possible adjustments but in vain, I'm more angry and disappointed, but I'm sure someone will help me here, or at least will give me informations from where to learn it.

Sorry for my bad english.. Thanks in advance for feedback`s

8 REPLIES 8

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Hard to say with non-Canon flashes. It is usually best - especially for a beginner - to stick with Canon, like the 430EX.

Sorry but i am student from Romania, and my budget is limited.. Price of 430EX is high.. I'm interested in knowing why this flash does not work.. Thanks kvbarkley for fast support me!

Unfortunately, your canon EOS 2000D is a stripped down entry level camera. I don’t understand the reason, but Canon has removed or eliminated the center hotshoe contact on both the 2000D and 4000D. This is the contact you need to make the sync connection with your Flash. 

The flash you see is only the ETTL preflash.  Because there is no center contact the main flash does not fire.

As a result the EOS 2000D/1500D/T7 and EOS 4000D/3000D/T100 will only work with Canon brand ETTL flash units. There might be some 3rd party flash units that will work without the center contact, but as of today, I don’t know of any. 

AD9E2E33-4ED5-46E3-B5F4-A4284604E1C9.jpeg

Mike Sowsun

Wow, that is amazing. From the manual:

• Canon Speedlites other than the EX-series will not fire.

•   If the camera is used with a flash unit or flash accessory dedicated to

another camera brand, not only will the camera not operate as usual but

it may also result in a malfunction.

•   The flash fires only once even when MULTI flash is set with the

Speedlite.

Your only option with your current flash is to find a remote flash trigger that uses the pop-up flash to set off your flash. (Some will ignore the preflash) This is better for you in the sense that off camera flash is a better idea, anyway. See if Wein has something to do what you want.

UPDATE: i made a little hack, but is not perfect.. When autofocus works, is possible to fail flash.
On 2.5mm jack port of many canon cameras, is transmitted signal from shutter button (focus, and shutter) (WARNING: the voltage of this operations is 3.3v). Now, for good working, i am using camera with manual focus, or i modify the circuit for put flash in stroboscope mode on focus stage. (i am thinking i can use arduino pro mini, and i can read stroboscope frequency with oscilloscope from stock flash, and write it to external flash with pwm signal from arduino, or put in stroboscope mode and triggering with arduino, and soldering wires to flash buttons to control it)

Video: https://youtu.be/_0z3T8_rOoY

Be careful, the voltage on the trigger circuit of your flash may be as high as 250 V.

Jakky
Apprentice
Kvbarkley, nope, logical voltage from flash is 5v and from shutter/focus button is 5v.. is imposibile to get in trigger pin toate pull high voltages, because the flash have a igbt tranzistor and optocuplor for isolating.. and... Ia imposibile to burn camera because on flashing, shutter button from camera is in short circuit 😉 oh... For any **bleep** flashes use a diode for protection..

You just persist in that thinking.

Even though the switch shorts inside the camera, it can still be damaged by too much voltage in the off state if it is a semiconductor switch.

(I once got bit by this once, and it was a very high profile, embarrassing oversight.)

Announcements