cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speedlite 430EX II Compatibility with EOS R5

MikeShrout
Apprentice

I have a Canon Speedlite 430EX II and I was wondering if it is compatible with the Canon R5.

If it will work, would there be any reason to upgrade to a newer model?

Thanks 

Mike Shrout

7 REPLIES 7

deebatman316
Authority
Authority
  1. Your current 430EX II will work with the Canon R5. The 430EX II will also be fully compatible with the in camera speedlite control menu. 
  2. Do you find the 430EX II limiting to you, if not there is no need to replace it unless you want to upgrade to the 430EX III-RT or a higher end speedlite such as the 600EX II-RT or the EL-1.
  3. Also note the IR AF Assist Beam DOES NOT WORK WITH ANY MIRRORLESS Camera. Instead the speedlite will fire an Intermittent AF Assist Beam (Disco Flash). However depending on the ambient lighting an AF Assist Beam maybe projected by the camera instead of the speedlite.

EOS R Series Intermittent Flash AF Assist Beam.pngEOS R Series AF Assist Beam Protocol 2.png

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L III USM, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L II USM, EF 50 F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS III USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D & Sigma 17-50mm F/2.8 EX DC OS HSM

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

Great information.  Thanks for the reply.  I will keep this one.

Make sure that the AF Assist Beam is enabled on the speedlite or the AF Assist Beam will not be projected. Make sure the camera focus mode is set to One Shot or the AF Assist Beam WILL NOT BE Projected from the camera or the speedlite. Also makes sure the camera's AF Assist Beam is set to ENABLE. If NOT the AF Assist Beam will not fire at all. If the camera is set to LED the speedlite WILL NOT fire an AF Assist Beam. If you do upgrade your speedlite be mindful that some newer speedlites have 2 AF Assist Beam projection methods. For example the 470EX-AI has options for both IR and Intermittent Flashes (a small series of flashes/ disco flash). By default the 470EX-AI will use IR for AF Assist or it can be set to Intermittent Flashes. When a speedlite that has a personal function for both IR and Intermittent Flashes. Intermittent flashes will be projected even when set to IR on an EOS R series camera. If a color filter is attached to the speedlite the AF Assist Beam will NOT be projected by Intermittent FlashesWhen a color filter is attached and the AF Assist Beam projection method set to Intermittent Flashes. The AF Assist Beam WILL be PROJECTED BY THE Camera instead of the speedlite.

IR AF Assist IS NOT Possible. ONLY Intermittent Flashes will WORK regardless of the AF Assist Beam Projection MethodIR AF Assist IS NOT Possible. ONLY Intermittent Flashes will WORK regardless of the AF Assist Beam Projection Method

EOS R Series AF Assist Beam Protocol 1.png

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L III USM, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L II USM, EF 50 F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS III USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Hello,

Thanks for that information.  That will help me a lot.  

Mike

Also watchout if you're using bounce flash. The speedlite may project an AF Assist Beam while in the bounce position. I haven't seen this happen before while I was testing out the R, RP, R5 and R6. But anything is possible. You don't want to blind other people.

-Demetrius

-Demetrius

bentleyb
Contributor

I have R6 and two speedlites 430 EXii and want to use them wirelessly what is the best way to do this so I can adjust output of each from the camera or the sending unit on the hot shoe? Would the speedlite 600EX II do the trick, I know it would be optically only? Is there radio transmitters and receivers that will work on the R6 that will give the ability to adjust from Camera or the sending unit? I have Yongnuo radio units but it works only in manual so to adjust I have to go to the flashes to adjust making it awkward.

Can you please make a new thread. So community members can better assist you. Without causing confusion between the OP and other forum members.

-Demetrius

Announcements