Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speedlite 430EX Custom Functions Won't Change

PauleyB
Contributor

430EX Speedlite

EOS R6

When I enter the custom functions, each one shows a value of 1 and then when I go to change them, I can't.  Even better, after entering that mode and exiting it, I now have the c.fn icon displayed on the LCD, so something was changed...

Thoughts?  It also seems like I can't reset the custom functions.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

The default values for custom functions are "0" on all of Canon's speedlites. Do you know what setting(s) you've changed. Since you say all of the custom functions have been changed. Does the speedlite say "E-TTL" or "TTL". Canon Speedlite 430EX Manual Screenshot 2023-04-23 175054.pngScreenshot 2023-04-23 175131.png

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

deebatman316
Authority
Authority

Which 430EX speedlite are you using. Canon has released 4 different versions of this speedlite. Which one do you have please post the full model name.

• 430EX original (2005-2008)
  • 430EX II (2008-2015)
  • 430EX III non-RT released in certain regions (2015-present)
  • 430EX III-RT (2015-present)

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

It's the original. 
I was hoping to blindly set the functions to default, but (a) I'm assuming the '- button' sets it to 0 and the '+ button' sets it to 1 (and they don't just toggle between 1 and 0) and (b) the manual doesn't say what the defaults are.

I also tried the flash on an older Canon camera and the flash behaves the same.

The default values for custom functions are "0" on all of Canon's speedlites. Do you know what setting(s) you've changed. Since you say all of the custom functions have been changed. Does the speedlite say "E-TTL" or "TTL". Canon Speedlite 430EX Manual Screenshot 2023-04-23 175054.pngScreenshot 2023-04-23 175131.png

-Demetrius

Okay.  One problem solved - thanks Demetrius.  And it probably allows me to work around the other issue.

I went to each function and hit the '- button'.  That then removed the c.fn icon, so I do have everything back to default, even though the LCD screen continues to show a 1 for each function.

So, it appears the '- button' does make it a 0.  I also think I was misinterpreting the 4th function, as I was thinking I'd want the AF assist to be on so it should be a 1; however, this is a double negative setting in that I want to disable the 'auto assist beam off' so that it is actually on.

Thanks for the help.  I'm back where I wanted to be.  Still don't know why the display keeps showing a 1, but internally it seems like I have the settings I want.

I have another question that may be related to something be corrupt in my 430EX, but I'll investigate a bit more and open up a separate thread if needed.

Thanks again.

Custom Function 4 needs to be set to "0" if you want to use the AF Assist Beam. Or the speedlite will NOT emit an AF Assist Beam. Note the IR AF Assist Beam DOES NOT WORK ON ANY mirrorless camera. AF Assist Beam emission is a little different with EOS R series cameras. The speedlite will fire an Intermittent AF Assist Beam (Intermittent Flash Firing). But note depending on the ambient lighting an LED AF Assist Beam maybe projected by the camera instead of the speedlite. EOS R Series Intermittent Flash AF Assist Beam.pngEOS R Series AF Assist Beam Protocol 2.png

-Demetrius

Oh - thanks for the extra info.  I was wondering why this camera seems to blink the flash a lot more.  I assume you can share why they don't use the IR beam when attached to a mirrorless camera?

The "IR" AF Assist Beam isn't actually "IR" it's a red grid. That an SLR or DSLR camera's AF sensor to lock onto. Mirrorless cameras can't detect it very well. Therefore intermittent flash firing is used when a speedlite is mounted. Also what lens are you using with your camera. Most of the time the camera will try to fire its own Beam. But if it's to dark or the subject lacks contrast. The speedlite will emit the AF Assist Beam instead. Slow aperture lenses also affect which AF Assist Beam is emitted. 

-Demetrius

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements