cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Have canon EOS Rebel XSI have Canon Speedlit how do I get to work 420 as a slave set camera? 420EX

K---n
Contributor

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

Sorry, but the 420EX will not work as a "slave" just using your camera.

The Canon 420EX will only work as a "Slave" if you have a "Master" that uses the Canon wireless system. The Canon system uses coded light signals from the "master" flash to trigger the "slave" and give you the correct exposure. 

Some newer Canon cameras have a built-in pop-up flash that can act as "master" but your XSi doesn't work that way. The Canon cameras that will do this are the T3i, T4i, T5i, 7D, 60D, or 70D.

You can also buy a Canon flash which can be used on your XSi and act as "master".  These  include the Canon 550EX, 580EX,  580EX II, and 600EX-RT. There is also a cheaper Canon ST-E2 that can also act as master but does not  work as a flash.

There are also some 3rd party flashes Like Yongnuo,  Nissin and Metz that may also work as "master".

Mike Sowsun

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

Sorry, but the 420EX will not work as a "slave" just using your camera.

The Canon 420EX will only work as a "Slave" if you have a "Master" that uses the Canon wireless system. The Canon system uses coded light signals from the "master" flash to trigger the "slave" and give you the correct exposure. 

Some newer Canon cameras have a built-in pop-up flash that can act as "master" but your XSi doesn't work that way. The Canon cameras that will do this are the T3i, T4i, T5i, 7D, 60D, or 70D.

You can also buy a Canon flash which can be used on your XSi and act as "master".  These  include the Canon 550EX, 580EX,  580EX II, and 600EX-RT. There is also a cheaper Canon ST-E2 that can also act as master but does not  work as a flash.

There are also some 3rd party flashes Like Yongnuo,  Nissin and Metz that may also work as "master".

Mike Sowsun

Thank you

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

You can get a inexpensive optical trigger and use your built-in for the master.  Smiley Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thank you. I think I will get the third party Yongnuo,
Announcements