cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Rebel T4i 580EXII ETTL functionally Speedlite Question

Bootie
Contributor

On attaching the 580EXII to camera T4i/650D the flash will not display ETTL mode. Camera Flash control menu (function settings/C Fn settings) displays incompatible flash or flash power turned off. However, if you change C.fn function 05 on the flash ensuring 05 0 is displayed it will then display ETTL ON THE FLASH. Sadley once attached to the camera and shutter release pressed, flash reverts to TTL mode and flash won't fire. Help would be much appreciated ! Would very much like to use as a master with my two 430EXII. Cheers!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thank you for your reply. Having done some more research, yes the flash hotshoe pins where modified  secretly, allegedly !! I unfortunately have the pre mod round headed pins. Which for a princely sum they will replace, not that I would expect it done for free as allegedly it being a design fault. The flash was part of camera items inherited and came in an unopened box. Will have to take it on the chin and look for something,non CANON as a replacement. Regards

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

It might be caused by a loose or dirty connection between the flash foot connector and the camera. Does the 430EXII flash work properly on the camera?

Thanks for your reply. Yes both 430EXII work just fine in all modes. Regards

Anonymous
Not applicable

I believe that there was a redesigned foot and connector made for the 580EXII speedlite because of intermittent connection problems. Perhaps, this might be what you are experiencing.

Thank you for your reply. Having done some more research, yes the flash hotshoe pins where modified  secretly, allegedly !! I unfortunately have the pre mod round headed pins. Which for a princely sum they will replace, not that I would expect it done for free as allegedly it being a design fault. The flash was part of camera items inherited and came in an unopened box. Will have to take it on the chin and look for something,non CANON as a replacement. Regards

Anonymous
Not applicable

You can buy the part and do it yourself. I don't think it is expensive.

Thanks for that, I'll try and seek one out, not an easy task here in the UK anymore as nobody seems to be able to speak on the phone these days. Hey ho ! Regards.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've seen them sold on the internet. I believe Canon will sell you the part also.

Part number  Canon CY2-4220

Try USCamera-dot-com if Canon doesn't have the part.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Did you understand my post? Your camera can act like a master with the built in flash, you don't need an external flash.

Announcements