cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EL-5 Speedlite Shipped

chrishoesel
Enthusiast

I just received notification from B&H that my backorder for an EL-5 has shipped.  Now I wonder if it will work on my R5C (which we know it won't, even though it has the new multifunction shoe)  Was hoping the next firmware update would drop but haven't seen it yet.

Anyone else get theirs yet?

Past Gear:
1DX, 1DXII, 1DIV, 7D, EF 2.8 Trinity, EF-500mm f/4L IS USM, EF 50mm f/1,2L II USM
Current Gear:
R5C, RP, RF15-35mm f/2.8L IS USM, RF24-105mm f/4L IS USM, RF50mm f/1.2L USM, RF100mm f/2.8L IS Macro USM, 4x 600EX-II-RT Speedlites
16 REPLIES 16

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

EL-5..  confirmation of shipment.  Congrats.  You are the first I've heard this from here.  Heard from 1 other person on CR who will have his by Saturday.  He preordered 11/2022 from B&H (like yourself).  

Please share the results after pairing with your R5 C when possible.  I'm waiting for 1.0.4.1 as well.  I think we are still a few weeks out before it gets released.  I'm planning to pick up an EL-5 in September.  Should be plenty of stock by then. I rarely use a flash so its not as urgent a purchase for me.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

My friend got her's in last night. She can't wait to use it. She already has extra batteries from her EL-1 to set it up and use it.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

Received it just now (delivered to my work) but camera is at home.  Will test out in a few hours but I am almost certain it won't work.  However, I will trigger it remotely and test out the recycle rate.  

Few things to note (as compared to 600EX-II-RT and 600EX-RT)

1. Build quality is much inferior to 600 series.  Much lighter-grade plastics that are cheaper to mold/produce.

2. Lighter in weight - goes with the theme of all R-series bodies and lenses being plastic (cheaper to produce) and "lighter"  I know that image quality has gone up, and I don't mind the feel, but I used to own 1DX series and all L glass some years ago.  

3. I'm charging the battery now on a second charger I have at the office.  Keep in mind the flash itself DOES NOT include a charger.

4. The carrying case is a much inferior, thin wetsuit material, unlike the better nylon cases the 600's came in.  It is in full vertical format and does not have a belt loop.

5. Head rotates on detents like all other Speedlites, however it is not locked in position.  No need to push the button to rotate.

6.  Units are made in Taiwan.

Will update more.  All else being equal, even if it doesn't work on-camera with R5C, I'll test it OCF remotely and may consider selling all my 600EX-II's and getting more of these if the recycle time, radio, function, etc. are better.  The battery situation alone may be worth it, and at this price point it's probably worth it if the quality is there.

Past Gear:
1DX, 1DXII, 1DIV, 7D, EF 2.8 Trinity, EF-500mm f/4L IS USM, EF 50mm f/1,2L II USM
Current Gear:
R5C, RP, RF15-35mm f/2.8L IS USM, RF24-105mm f/4L IS USM, RF50mm f/1.2L USM, RF100mm f/2.8L IS Macro USM, 4x 600EX-II-RT Speedlites

Do you own a camera that currently supports the EL-5. There are some limitations when it comes to the LED AF Assist Beam.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

No I do not.  I pre-ordered the EL-5 when I purchased my R5C because this camera has the MF Shoe and I assumed it would work.  Some others and myself hope that Canon adds compatibility to the R5C via firmware.  The firmware for the stills portion of this camera must be included in the Cinema EOS firmware because it can only be updated from the video operating system.  It's a strange beast.  Myself along with others have requested support for this flash on that Camera so holding out with baited breath that it happens.  (I don't think they really care, cause they're about to aggressively market the R5 Mark II and me like an idiot will buy that or the R1.)

Past Gear:
Current Gear:

Canon is probably making firmware for the new EL-5 to work on the R5C. New firmware takes time to make. Since the R5C is a video camera they may not be able to modify the existing firmware. That the R6 Mark II, R8 & R50 use. Or older Multi Function Shoe cameras use such as the R3, R7 & R10 have. The camera already has the hardware. The camera just lacks the necessary software to make it work.

-Demetrius

Got home and tested the EL-5 on the R5C.

Confirmed it does not work nor is recognized by the camera in stills mode.  Works fine remotely triggered by the ST3-RT (Ver.2)

Recycle time is actually less than 1 second at 1/1 power so that's cool.

Past Gear:
Current Gear:

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

@chrishoesel,

Thanks for the update and observations.  Others mentioned and questioned the lack of an included charger and the rotation detent operation.  No push-button or lock. Decent article on it if you haven't seen it

Speedlite EL-5: 6+ Things to Know About Canon’s New Professional Flash (canon-asia.com)

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

I'm surprised that the EL-5 doesn't ship with a charger. The EL-1 does ship with a charger though. Is this a cost cutting measure or did Canon assume most of us own LC-E6 chargers already.

-Demetrius

Announcements