cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Don't want to use my flash as a slave.

peter4076
Apprentice

I want to use my 430 ex ii on my Canon 7D mk ii, can I disable my pop up flash forever?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

If a flash (or actually anything) is in the hot-shoe on your 7D, the camera will not attempt to raise the pop-up flash.

Hiding under one of the leaf-springs on the hot-shoe rails there is a tiny micro-switch.  When you attach anything to the hot-shoe, it presses the micro-switch and the camera realizes you've attached something (even if it's not actually a flash).  The camera will not attempt to raise the pop-up flash when the hot-shoe is being used.

This is automatic and there's no need to do anything to your camera menu to tell it you'd prefer to use the 430EX II instead of the pop-up flash.

Also... you can use the pop-up flash as a trigger to fire the 430EX II if it is located off camera.  The 430EX II can function as an E-TTL "slave" but cannot function as a "master".  The manual explains how to enable this mode.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

If a flash (or actually anything) is in the hot-shoe on your 7D, the camera will not attempt to raise the pop-up flash.

Hiding under one of the leaf-springs on the hot-shoe rails there is a tiny micro-switch.  When you attach anything to the hot-shoe, it presses the micro-switch and the camera realizes you've attached something (even if it's not actually a flash).  The camera will not attempt to raise the pop-up flash when the hot-shoe is being used.

This is automatic and there's no need to do anything to your camera menu to tell it you'd prefer to use the 430EX II instead of the pop-up flash.

Also... you can use the pop-up flash as a trigger to fire the 430EX II if it is located off camera.  The 430EX II can function as an E-TTL "slave" but cannot function as a "master".  The manual explains how to enable this mode.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

TCampbell

Thanks for the detailed info, only just purchased the 7D mkii, so big learning curve for me with the 430 ex11

Announcements