cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon Speedlite Sub Master

BlairW
Enthusiast
I have two 430EX III-RT, a 600EX RT and one 600 EX II-RT. I’ve noticed if I place more than one as master the link light on the second one glows amber. I read somewhere this is called “Sub Master” but I don’t know what a sub master does. My guess would be a second set of Speedlites if I used more than 15? thanks, Blair
9 REPLIES 9

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

So far as I'm aware... you can only have one master and that's the flash in the hot-shoe (or radio trigger in the hot shoe).  I've never heard of the term 'sub-master' and it's not in Canon's documentation (I checked).

When you set the first flash to 'master', you'll get a red light to notify you that it has no slaves (presumably you wouldn't use the mode if you didn't intend to have at least one slave.)

When you turn on at least one slave and link it, the light on both flash units will switch to green.  That's the confirmation light that those units are "linked" (they are talking to each other.)

You can continue to add slaves and each will glow green to confirm they're part of the flash system.  If you switch one on in slave mode and it glows red it means something is wrong and it can't find a master (check channel numbers, check radio ID numbers (flashes will only talk to each other if they are on the same channel AND have the same radio ID number.  It helps you avoid conflicts if other photographers are also using the same type of flash system so that your units only respond to your camera and the other photographers flashses only respond to their camera.  

Syl Arena is "the guy" on the speedlite system.  He has some published books and has made several videos.  He's a great resource for learning more details about the system.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Unfortuneatly he had a brain anuerysm a year ago and he is laying off the social media including blogging. When he comes back we might try to ask him this question.

Green: Communication established
Orange: Flash has sub-master status (this master unit was powered on after another master unit)
Red: Flash is not communicating with another unit
Blinking Red: Too many units or other error

I see it mentioned throughout this document with no details.

http://cpn.canon-europe.com///content/education/technical/speedlite_flash_system_for_eos.do

I found this below in the owners manual that came with my 600EX II-RT on page 72 You can designate two or more master units. By preparing multiple cameras with master units attached, you can change cameras while keeping the same lighting (slave units) during wireless flash photography. Note that when using two or more master units, the color of the lamp will change depending on the order in which the master setting was preformed. The first master (main master) is green, and the second and subsequent masters (sub-masters) are orange. I've only in the past six months or so started to experiment with the use of more than one flash. So I'm still learning and I have much to learn. I have shot out of doors or with a single flash for about 40 years with my first 35mm camera. 

thanks, for the replies

@kvbarkley wrote:

Green: Communication established
Orange: Flash has sub-master status (this master unit was powered on after another master unit)
Red: Flash is not communicating with another unit
Blinking Red: Too many units or other error

I see it mentioned throughout this document with no details.

http://cpn.canon-europe.com///content/education/technical/speedlite_flash_system_for_eos.do

The obvious question, then, is does "sub" mean "substitute" in this context? IOW, if the master were to lose power or something, would the substitute try to take over and reach out to the slaves? If so, how would he know when to fire the slaves? He'd have to be listening to some trigger on the camera, wouldn't he? (You can see how much I know about external flash.)

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

I guess that's the $64,000 question isn't it. I sort of thought maybe to control yet another group of slaves. Hopefully someone that has a little more experience will have an answer. I'm always willing to learn more when I comes to a passion. I love this hobby and have no formal education only self taught photographer.

I believe the idea is to allow for two cameras. For example, you might do most of your shoot with a body with the 85mm (the flash shows green) lens for headshots.

Then you might switch to another body with a wider angle lens (the flash shows orange) to get more environmental type portraits.

Since both cameras are masters, you just pick up the either camera and start firing, no fiddling necessary.

that makes sense. save a lot of time once the slaves are set to your liking.

Yeah likeKvbarkley said...this is for one that uses more than one bodies or two photogs sharing the same light set-ups.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr
Announcements