cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Banding with external battery pack

iND
Contributor

If I use an external battery pack is there a chance of 'photo banding' if the battery pack is too close to the camera?

"Place the battery pack 5-10 cm away from the camera during usage to prevent banding noise to appear in the photo. "

Are there any suggestion on battery packs from Canon or actual users?

5 REPLIES 5

jfo
Rising Star

Oh interesting question.  I'm curious too.

Where's that quote from, iND?  Are you using a Canon external battery pack or a third-party one?

iND
Contributor

SOURCE

http://www.gadgetinfinity.com/external-flash-battery-pack-for-canon-580-ex-ii-yougnuo-yn560.html

I do not yet have an external battery pack.

I am still doing my research.

I like the idea of attaching the battery pack to the bottom of the camera if it is a small unit, but not at the expense of IQ.

I'm very fond of the Bolt CBP-C1 external battery pack. It's about $100 less than the Canon pack, runs on 4 or 8 AA batteries (the Canon pack runs on 6), and has a thermal cut-out circuit, which is very important. I've never come upon the banding issue that you reference.

David
Enthusiast

I use a Quantum Turbo battery (original) and never had any banding issues.

TotoEC
Contributor

I am using the CP-E4 Battery Pack and don't see any banding mentioned herein.  I took over 800 shots last night during a wedding celebration with 2 600EX-RTs and can't find anything to complain.

Announcements