cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

600ex ii as on-camera master

coachboz68
Enthusiast

I have been a canon user for ~12 years, but almost exclusively sports.  when not sports, natural light only.   Now interested in venturing into off-camera flash photography.  My first quesiton is basic and painfully newbie.  

If I use the 600ex ii as an on-camera master in optical transmission mode to fire my 580ex ii, can I have it such that the 600 itself does not fire, but only triggers the off-camera 580?  Or does the on-camera always HAVE to fire even if acting as a master?  

In addition, one may naturally ask why spend all that money on a 600 when I can just get an transmitter for the 580 off camera.  Well, I'm just learning this stuff, but I have two daughters who are doing photography who will inherit my 580 and I don't see them doing off-camera for a good while, so I may as well get the 600 now and play with off-camera before giving the 580 to them.  Then I'll get a transmitter for the 600.  Body is a 1DX II. 

Thanks!  

Billy 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

No, you can choose to have the master fire to help the exposure or not, or any level in beteeen.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

No, you can choose to have the master fire to help the exposure or not, or any level in beteeen.

Thank you! 

Also, if anyone has good resources on speedlite off-camera usage for newbies, would appreciate the references. 

thanks! 

The best resource is Syl Arena's Speedliter's handbook, but sadly it is out of print. Only e-reader and used versions are reasonably priced.

Announcements