cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

600ex-RT failing

Firewire
Apprentice

after using the unit on a job for a few hours the unit sometimes will not "reload"  (the red light to signify the flash is ready again). I find that I have to switch the unit on and off to get it up to speed, anyone have this trouble, any solutions?  is this a defect?

8 REPLIES 8

Tim
Authority

Hello Firewire,

This may signify that the batteries need to be replaced on your flash.  If using continually, also consider letting the flash cool down for a while so it doesn't get too hot.  If the issue persists, then you may want to consider sending this into our service center so we can evaluate it under factory conditions.

You would be able to set up service through our web site, through the Service and Support section.  We look forward to receiving your flash at the factory to get this issue resolved. 

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Are you using Alkaline? Bad choice. Try some NiMH rechargeable, slow discharging batteries. It will make a big difference.  The Sanyo Eneloop is very popular.  

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

I agree that this really sounds like low batteries.  The amount of flashes you get depends on how much power the flash has to pump out when it fires... e.g. does it fire at full power, half power, etc. 

Alkalines slowly decrease in voltage as they are drained.  This means the flash recycle time will gradually take longer and longer.  After a while the wait time reaches the point where the flash ready light will not come on anymore -- not in a reasonable amount of time anyway.

Rechargeable NiMH batteries actually have noticeably better performance -- and also more consistent performance.  The voltage "curve" for an NiMH battery that is being drained actually remains fairly "flat" -- the battery provides rather steady voltage until it finally dies (at which point the voltage plummets rapidly and it's time to swap in a fresh set.)

One downside of many rechargeables is that they self-discharge (even when unused and just "sitting on the shelf" - they need not be installed in the flash.)  All batteries self-discharge to some extent, but some rechargeables self-dischrage so rapidly that just 1 day after being fully charged they've already lost 20% of their capacity.  This means you'd really need to charge them "just before" you plan to use them.  

The Sanyo Eneloops are popular NiMH batteries because they are "low self-discharge" batteries.  Sanyo claims that after a full year they still have 90% of their charge capacity in them.  They perform so well that they are actually fully charged when you buy them.

Canon does make an external battery pack for the flash (the "Compact Battery Pack CP-E4").  This pack holds 8x AA batteries so that you not only get more time before you have to swap in fresh batteries, you also get faster recycle times.  

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

thank you for your responses.  I have been using high end NiMH 1.2 volts from MAHA Energy for many years. I used to use their IMEDION line which are 2400 mAh. They were great, and would hold a charge for months. Then I heard that they made another line known as POWEREX, which are 2700 mAh. Thinking that the 2700 might give me faster recylces,  I invested in about 40 of the POWEREX.  And I seem to be having problems with the 2700's.  I only noticed the slow recycle time in the last 3 or 4 months.  I contacted MAHA Energy and they suggested that I recondition the batteries with their reconditioner/charger ( of which I own) . I am doing that now and we will see.

does anyone have any other thoughts?

BTW, I own 2  CP-E4's, and according to Canon Prof. Services they do not increase recycle time, they only increases the battery life of the batteries in the flash unit.

I use Ansmann NiMH 2500 mAH but was never very happy with the charger it came with. No conditining. Thanks for talking about the MAHA charger. Did a few checks. I'm going to pick the PowerEx MH-C801D Eight Cell. 

I bought the MAHA / PowerEX MH-C801D... it was dead on arrival.  I plugged it in for the first time and it was flashing an error message which wouldn't go away.  I contacted Maha and they confirmed that it was a bad unit and if that particular message was displayed when no batteries were even in the unit then it meant the unit had an internal short.

Having a bad unit wouldn't normally be cause for alarm, but then I read several reviews of these DOA units and one in which the owner claims it started to smoke, but fortunately they were home, smelled it, and disconnected it.  Another story mentioned it destroy 8 Eneloops when a unit flaked out.  I thought better of the purchase and decided I didn't want a charger with such flakey quality control where risk of fire is possible if I'm charging overnight while I'm sleeping.

After a bit more research I ended up with a LaCross BC-1000.  It only holds four cells (not 😎 but otherwise seems to be a better unit.   It can charge at four different rates... the default rate is moderate (not slow, but not fast either.)  If I'm not in a hurry, I prefer to slow charge the batteries... fast-charging batteries just causes excess heat and shortens the life.  So I figure the slower and cooler the battery as it charges, the longer it's likely to last.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Thanks

photocooper
Apprentice

Hi Firewire, can you please confirm if you resolved this issue re your 600Ex and slow/no charge? I have this issue occasionally with my two 600Ex's. I have always changed out batteries (even if recently charged) and use CP-E4 batt pack's and only solution has been to turn of and on flash. Sometimes betewwn each shot! This does not exactly look professional and happened on a location shoot only a couple of weeks ago. It refused to resolve, despite batt changes to both flashes. In the end I reset, and aldso swapped over main and slave units, and it all magically started to function again.

Not exactly a relaxing thought when setting off on a shoot though! I have even thought about purchasing another 600EX to swap out if it happened again. But of course before I do I want to make sure this is not a common issue and I am buying a another faulty unit!

Hopefully you have now had the unit checked by Canon, or it has not happened again?

Best

John

Announcements