cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

600EX-RT and Canon 7D

64ekta
Apprentice

I've been shooting also of action shots and the 7D has been awesome. 

I'm starting to have some interests in flash photography and I have 2 specific questions: 

1) Can the Speedlite 600EX-RT be fired off camera? Do I need an ETTL cable or need a remote transmitter to control the 600? 

2)  Can my 480EXII be a slave to the 600 in a off camera scenario? 

Thanks 

1 REPLY 1

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

@64ekta wrote:

I've been shooting also of action shots and the 7D has been awesome. 

I'm starting to have some interests in flash photography and I have 2 specific questions: 

1) Can the Speedlite 600EX-RT be fired off camera? Do I need an ETTL cable or need a remote transmitter to control the 600? 

2)  Can my 480EXII be a slave to the 600 in a off camera scenario? 

Thanks 

1)  The 600EX-RT can be on-camera as a commander or off-camera as a remote.

You do not neef a cable.  It can operate either via 'optical' triggering or via 'radio' triggering (only the 600EX-RT has radio capability -- none of the other flashes have this at this time.)  If you want to use radio, the 7D has no radio of it's own so you need a radio commander.  Either a 2nd 600EX-RT flash can be a commander -or- the dedicated Canon ST-E3-RT module is a radio commander.

Also the 600EX-RT can operate via 'optical'.  The 7D on-board pop-up flash can trigger the remote flash but this does require line-of-sight to work.

2)  A 430EXII can only be a slave in 'optical' mode -- it has no radio support.  But the 600EX-RT can be an optical commander, so yes... you could use a 600EX-RT as an on-camera optical commander and use a 430EX II as the optical remote.  

As distance increase of if you're in bright light (outdoors) the base of the 430EX II (which is where the remote sensor is located) will probably need to be pointed directly at the on-camera flash in order to have reliabile triggering.  If you face the whole flash straight ahead, it probably wont work well.  The 430EX II has a swivel and tilt head, so it's possible to point the base at the camera and still point the head wherever you want the light.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements