cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

580EX-II question

robrow65
Apprentice

I dropped my speedlite and the hot shoe assembly broke off.  I do not want to replace it.

Is there a way I can set up the 580 manually to flash when it sees another flash such as the 430EX II?

I'm fine if this is only in full manual flash mode.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I did some more experimentation with various settings today, and I learned what may impact how the in-camera flash settings are transmitted to the Speedlite via the optical connection.  I set the wireless function to the Speedlite only which resulted in the built-in pop-up flash going off anyway, but I think that action is what transmits the data because I noticed afterward that the camera's settings appeared in the Speedlite LCD.  I also ran another experiment.  I took a picture with the Speedlite "on" off camera, and of course, the built-in flash went off.  Then, I turned the Speedlite "off" and took the picture again.  The pop-up triggered, but it did not impact the picture at all.  When viewed, it was very dark with almost no light in the picture.  When I checked the Speedlite LCD, sure enough the camera settings appeared.  So, through this incredible hit-and-miss process I learned that when choosing the Speedlite only on the wireless function the built-in, pop-up still triggers but is not synchronized with the Speedlite.  "I think" that disabling the pop-up altogether is what may block the settings from transferring.  What a journey this is turning out to be.  I am awaiting the arrival of a TTL Cord which I ordered a couple of days ago, and that will change how everything is done because I will return the flash to "Master" status, and it will be run off of the External Flash menu, which will give me a wider range of options.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

knewton
Apprentice

I am using a Speedlite 580ex ii on a EOS 5D Mark ii.  It functions fine in regular mode. When I set it to function wirelessly as the master unit, the pilot light immediately goes out, and it will not fire itself and will not trigger a slave unit. I am using a 430ex as the slave unit. Both are set on channel 1. I tried the unit on my EOS 1V to see if the camera makes a difference, but the problem is the same.

John_
Authority

hot shoe.JPGIf you can find a hot shoe assembly it is very easy to replace, 4 screws to remove/replace, and 3 plugs to remove/replace very simple to do with no massive disassembly, very minor. ....it's been a while since I replaced the shoe assembly but it might only be 1 plug involved to remove/replace the hot shoe assembly...either way it was an easy fix.

Thanks so much; I'll give that a try.

@John_ wrote:

If you can find a hot shoe assembly it is very easy to replace, 4 screws to remove/replace, and 3 plugs to remove/replace very simple to do with no massive disassembly, very minor. ....it's been a while since I replaced the shoe assembly but it might only be 1 plug involved to remove/replace the hot shoe assembly...either way it was an easy fix.

Why are you telling him to replace the hotshoe if his hotshoe is not broken?

That won't solve his pilot light problem.  

Mike Sowsun

Yeah I saw that I posted in the wrong message and deleted it...was a mistake

Announcements