cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

580EX II eTTL full power using E-TTL FLASH Off Camera Cord

JeepDaddy
Apprentice

Using a 5D Mk III with 580EX II.  On the hot shoe, eTTL works fine. Can access camera menu fine.  When I attach eTTL flash off camera cord to get the speedlite off camera, only full power works, and compensation does not work at all.  Full power only and can't access settings in camera menu.  When I do the same with 430EX II everything works fine on and off camera with the same brand new cord and menu is accessible and settings can be changed.  

Any idea what it could be?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@JeepDaddy wrote:
Its not a Canon cord, it's Chinese. I think it is a combination of low quality cord and unreliable contacts on Canons old speedlites. After I posted this question and had a cup of coffee I tried it again and like magic it started working. I swapped out the speedlites and the 430 wouldn't work but after sliding it on and off several times it worked.

I don't use my speedlites very often but every time I do it seems that I have connection problems with everything I use them on including the hot shoe. I have ETTL triggers that I seem to always have the same problem with.

Maybe someone can suggest a way to make the contacts more reliable?

The no-brainer is to try a Canon cord. Although bad contacts on the speedlites is a possibility, the fact that both of them fail sporadically suggests that the cord is at fault. And since you rarely use the speedlites, you probably haven't given the contacts time to wear out.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Are you using a Canon cord? Which one? Does it have the extra 4 pins to connect?

JeepDaddy
Apprentice
Its not a Canon cord, it's Chinese. I think it is a combination of low quality cord and unreliable contacts on Canons old speedlites. After I posted this question and had a cup of coffee I tried it again and like magic it started working. I swapped out the speedlites and the 430 wouldn't work but after sliding it on and off several times it worked.

I don't use my speedlites very often but every time I do it seems that I have connection problems with everything I use them on including the hot shoe. I have ETTL triggers that I seem to always have the same problem with.

You can clean them with an eraser.

@JeepDaddy wrote:

The no-brainer is to try a Canon cord. Although bad contacts on the speedlites is a possibility, the fact that both of them fail sporadically suggests that the cord is at fault. And since you rarely use the speedlites, you probably haven't given the contacts time to wear out.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements