cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using file manager to see files stored on the camera

ammonet
Apprentice

I use an EOS 350D. With Windows XP, uisn File Manager (Windows Explorer) I could see the camera as a drive, and could see the list of image files on the camera, select and download them etc. However, using windows 7 I do not see the camera as a drive. Why is that? Is it because I have all the Canon software loaded? What can I do to have direct access to the files on the camera via File Manager. I don't use the Canon software for anything.

4 REPLIES 4

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

" I don't use the Canon software for anything."

Well, delet it.  WIn 7 does not need a driver for your camera.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

OK, I uninstalled all this Canon stuff, and the computer doesn't recognise the camera at all, so obviously some of the Canon software is required. The question is which parts should I re-install? Does anyone know?

OK, after a few experiments, I found that this is what you have to do. Change the camera’s USB connection mode from “PC” to “Print/PTP” and then your computer finds the camera as an external drive and offers two options, one of which is to use Windows Explorer. I'll check later whether this also works with XP.

From Canon ...

"There is no driver for the OS Version you selected. The driver may be included in your OS or you may not need a driver."

This is true for Win 7 or XP.

"Change the camera’s USB connection mode from “PC” to “Print/PTP”.

This is required for all older cameras. But it does not require any Canon software since it is an in-camera setting,

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements