cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Venus and the Moon

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

I am the first to admit I am not an astronomer: I don't have the knowledge or the gear to do the activity justice.  That said, I do enjoy looking to the heavens and marvelling at the vast expanse of the universe and all of those trillions of stars and galaxies that lie out there.  Like most of you, I have shot the moon from time to time.

Last night, as I went outside for something else, I looked up to see a crescent moon with a bright object close by.   I rushed back in and got out a crop sensor body, in this case the EOS 90D, the Sigma 150-600c lens and added the Canon 1.4x MkIII extender.  This gave me a field of view equivalent to that of a 336- 1344 FF lens.   I took a monopod and shot back out to take a bunch of images.  Here is the result.   On the left, I am told that the bright spot is actually Venus, which is in also rising (i.e. partially lit).

Canon EOS 90D • Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM | Contemporary @869mm • 1/200 • f/20 • ISO 3200

IMG_1113 Copy.jpg

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
3 REPLIES 3

stevet1
Whiz
Whiz

@Tronhard wrote:

I am the first to admit I am not an astronomer: I don't have the knowledge or the gear to do the activity justice.  That said, I do enjoy looking to the heavens and marvelling at the vast expanse of the universe and all of those trillions of stars and galaxies that lie out there.  Like most of you, I have shot the moon from time to time.

Trevor,

Do you remember what your settings were? My wife was asking me just last night if I could take pictures of the sky.

Steve Thomas

@stevet1 wrote:

@Tronhard wrote:

Trevor,

Do you remember what your settings were? My wife was asking me just last night if I could take pictures of the sky.

Steve Thomas

I can give you what I had, but honestly these things vary considerably, based on the brightness of the subject, background or ambiant light, the performance of your camera and lens configuration.  You would be best to go on line and explore some of the photographers who do this a lot - I don't!  If the moon had a bigger crescent, then you would want a lower exposure, but that would make it harder to see Venus...  There are a lot of variable.

FWIW:   The setup - Canon EOS 90D, Sigma 150-600c + Canon 1.4x MkIII extender.

f/20, 1/200sec, ISO-3200  - frankly, you could reduce the f/stop and the ISO: e.g. f/11 with an ISO of 800, give or take.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

I can give you what I had, but honestly these things vary considerably, based on the brightness of the subject, background or ambiant light, the performance of your camera and lens configuration.  You would be best to go on line and explore some of the photographers who do this a lot

Trevor,

Thanks. Your photo spurred me to do just that.

Steve thomas

Announcements