cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your Macro Photos

lindam
Administrator
Administrator

Have you captured an awesome macro photo? Post it here and share the story behind the shot. Be sure to include the Canon gear you used. This photo was captured with a Canon EOS 5D Mark III and a Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM lens at f/5, 1/160 sec, ISO 100.

FLower-Macro.jpg

173 REPLIES 173

Canon 7D - EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro

14324665_1276768279023449_1156737860968863694_o.jpg

Beyond cool, very nice.  Smiley Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

It's snowing today.  Looking for the perfect snowflake, but they keep clumping together.

_D8A0491.jpg

EOS 7D Mark II, EF 100mm f/2.8 IS USM Macro, 0.3 sec, f/11, ISO 800

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

What a cool shot! It amazes us every time that you can see the individual ice crystals in the snow flakes with the right macro lens! Thanks for sharing, Waddizzle! 

@Stephen wrote:

What a cool shot! It amazes us every time that you can see the individual ice crystals in the snow flakes with the right macro lens! Thanks for sharing, Waddizzle! 

Thanks, Stephen.  The keeper rate for such shots is very low.  This was my first attempt at it.

Capturing such a shot takes a lot of luck, too.  You need just the right type of snowflakes, which mine were not.  My flakes kept clumping.  Perfect snowflakes lasted less than a minute, and my three shots during that period were not keepers.  The first I damaged the snowflake with rough handling.  The second was out of focus because I rushed it.  By the time I took a third shot, the snowflake began to melt and lost its' sharp edges.

How did I photograph it?  I laid a dark cotton cloth on a milk crate, so I could "catch" several snowflakes.  I stood a tripod over the crate with the center column inverted, so that the camera was pointing straight down.  I used manual focus, mirror lockup, and the 10 second timer on the shutter to give time for camera vibrations to settle out.  No flash, but I used Av mode. 

The cloth surface MUST be cold, so that the snowflakes do not melt.  Most of all, the snowflakes are FRAGILE, and you must WORK FAST, because the snowflakes will quickly begin to melt and deteriorate within several seconds to the point where they lose their shape and sharp edges.

[EDIT]  I forgot to mention that I was working outdoors, during the snowstorm.  My camera setup was on a covered porch.

_D8A0492.jpg

When I said you have to work fast, I really meant it.  You have to work FAST.  Same snowflake, 15 seconds later.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ballottasphotog
Enthusiast
Cool shot!

TonyBritton
Enthusiast

One of my favorite tabletop photography projects involves the use of black foam core board as a background. My seashell collection is especially fun to photograph and the lighting really celebrates the interplay of light and shadow. These were taken with my G11 & SX50 cameras.

1. (illuminated)

illuminated

seashell collection

seashell collection

seashell collection

5. (illuminated)

seashell collection

These look amazing, TonyBritton!  Love the lighting and the way it makes each subject jump out from the black background.  Excellent work!

ballottasphotog
Enthusiast

@lindam wrote:

Have you captured an awesome macro photo? Post it here and share the story behind the shot. Be sure to include the Canon gear you used. This photo was captured with a Canon EOS 5D Mark III and a Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM lens at f/5, 1/160 sec, ISO 100.

FLower-Macro.jpg

This is a macro image of a magnolia seed pod. It was shot with an EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 IS and +4 and +2 diopters. The raw file was processed in Digital Photo Professional.
IMG_6645_Magnolia.jpg

ballottasphotog
Enthusiast

This is a macro image of a magnolia seed pod. It was shot with an EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 IS and +4 and +2 diopters. The raw file was processed in Digital Photo Professional.IMG_6632_Magnolia.jpg

Announcements