cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your Macro Photos

lindam
Administrator
Administrator

Have you captured an awesome macro photo? Post it here and share the story behind the shot. Be sure to include the Canon gear you used. This photo was captured with a Canon EOS 5D Mark III and a Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM lens at f/5, 1/160 sec, ISO 100.

FLower-Macro.jpg

173 REPLIES 173

Liz,

I use Back Button Focus.  Depth of Field is shallow, at these distances.  It must be 1/4 inch at most, probably less.  If I lock focus on the inside of the flower, then the outer leaves will likely be out of focus.  I haven't decided which is better, One Shot or AI Servo.  My keeper rate is so low, <33%, with either approach that I cannot form an opinion

And so, I do refocus on the bee if it lands on the flower.  Many times I do turn my attention to a flower with a bee already poking around inside of it.  You have to work fast.  Using BBF allows the camera to shoot faster, because it doesn't take the time refocus when the shutter button is pressed.  I have settled on using AI Servo most of the time, though.  I can press BBF and release it to acquire a "one shot" focus, or I can hold the button depressed and track in AI Servo mode.

I also use continuous shooting mode.  I run off several shots in a row.  My keeper rate with the T5 is pretty low because it is hard, at least for me, to keep the center AF point on the subject.  I use continuous shooting because the DOF is so shallow.  A small move by the bee can put most of its' body, or very little of its' body, in and out of focus. Continuous shooting is how I captured the "touch and go" bee.

To make a long story short.  I'm having FUN.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Here is one I just took a few days ago...this wasn't exactly a "macro" shot.  This goes to show that any lens can double duty as a macro lens of sort.   I took this with a Canon 5D Mark III and Tamron 150-600mm @ 600mm, 1/1600, f/7.1, ISO 1000...sorry Canon, the Tamron is my one only non-Canon lens I own...I wish Canon would make one (150-600mm f/5.6), I'd buy it in a flash...

27653160600_6d36b1cc18_b (1).jpg

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

Careful what you wish for.  There is good indication Canon will offer a  EF 200-600mm f/4.5-5.6 IS zoom lens.

Probably before years end!  I guess a non-L in the $1700+ price range.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Careful what you wish for.  There is good indication Canon will offer a  EF 200-600mm f/4.5-5.6 IS zoom lens.

I do hope it's true :)...I love portability and being able to walk for miles in the reserve hunting for birds...I hardly use my 600mm f/4...it just is too unwieldy...

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

@diverhank wrote:

@ebiggs1 wrote:

I do hope it's true :)...I love portability and being able to walk for miles in the reserve hunting for birds...I hardly use my 600mm f/4...it just is too unwieldy...

Exactly.  Portability when you're hiking.  I love my 100-400mm for that exact reason.  It's identical in size to the 70-200mm.  If Canon made a 200-600 that same size, too, they would set a new standard of excellence.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

" If Canon made a 200-600 that same size ..."

The EF 200-600mm f/4.5-5.6 IS zoom lens is sure to follow the same design as the 100-300 and 100-400mm.  Of course it will need to accommodate 600mm.

EB

" I still don't get that rule of 2/3....."

It is not as important or desirable in macro as it is in other photography.   Essentially you draw a tic-tac-toe diagram on your photo and place the subject where the lines cross.

However in macro the subject can be and is centered if it is the main most thing. You need to decide if it is better one way or the other. But I am sure some of the 'art critics' here will decide for you!  Smiley Wink

EB

@fatcat wrote:

I had a little better luck today. What do you think? F6.3 iso200  1/160  higer fstop seemd to help w/ field of focus.  I tried to crop on pixlr, but wouldn't save it at that size for some reason, I could see his eyelashes and pupil. (in focus)

What about an extention tube w/ the 50mm?  would that still put you at 3" away to focus?  L.bee

I think you need more DoF. Too little of the bee is in focus. I'd definitely go to ISO 400 and f/9.5, which ought to help some.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

You should be pleased withthat shot.  It's really good.  Smiley Wink

There is a so-called Ten Golden Rules of Macro

The 10 Golden rules of Macro Photography

1. Be Steady – Use a tripod to keep the camera shaking to a minimum.
  2. Wind – Macro photography is nearly impossible in the wind, be prepared with a wind break.
  3. Props 
  4. Sharpness – Use aperture like f/11-f/22 so you can maximize your DOF. Keep the camera parallel to your subject.
  5. Close up – Remember the 1:1 life-size photo is the best. A focal length of 100-200mm offers a good working distance.
  6. Focus Manually – Switch to manual focus. You want to have more control as you shoot your macro photos. 
  7. Background – Try not to have a background the same color as your subject.
  8. Fill in Flash 
  9. Get the white balance right 
  10. Diffuse light for Capturing Details – A diffuser will help on those very sunny days.  The best time to shoot outdoors is on an overcast day.

When doing macro the Rule of Thirds isn't as important because the subject is the photo.

EB

shutterhack
Contributor

I had just purchased the Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM lens. 

Taken August 27th at the Santa Barbara Natural History Museum Butterfly exhibit. Perfect overcast cool morning.

Canon EOS Rebel T5, ISO 600, 1/125sec. f/5.6 

Butterfly Wing.jpg

Announcements