cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Photographing the Red-billed Emerald in Colombia's Boyacá Region

adamrainoff
Contributor

20230702-276238-Enhanced-NR-2.jpg

The Red-billed Emerald (Chlorostilbon gibsoni) is a stunning example of Colombia’s rich avian biodiversity. I captured this image in the dense tropical forests of San Pablo de Borbur, Boyacá. It was a challenging yet rewarding experience to photograph this female perched gracefully on a branch, bathed in the soft light filtering through the canopy.

For this shot, I used my Canon R5 paired with the RF 800mm lens, along with a 1.4x extender to bring the subject into sharp focus while maintaining the details in the surrounding environment. I set my camera to 1/90 sec at f/16 and ISO 800 to handle the lower light conditions that morning. The balance of the slower shutter speed and higher aperture allowed me to capture the delicate iridescence of the bird’s feathers while ensuring that the background remained softly blurred. The combination of equipment and settings made it possible to highlight the bird's radiant emerald plumage, contrasting beautifully with the more muted tones of the background.

One of the biggest challenges with photographing hummingbirds is their rapid movements. However, this Red-billed Emerald paused just long enough for me to take the shot. The bird’s small size and iridescent feathers presented an additional challenge, as their coloring shifts depending on the angle of light. Patience and timing were key in capturing this image, and the result highlights both the beauty of the species and the technical capabilities of the equipment used.

As a conservation photographer, capturing moments like these means more than just getting a perfect shot. It’s about telling the story of the delicate ecosystems that host such remarkable species. This photograph of the Red-billed Emerald is one small part of that ongoing story.

©2023 Adam Rainoff Photographer

0 REPLIES 0
Announcements