cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linear Fog

Vulture678
Enthusiast

I have taken plenty of shots of this scene in B&W and color throughout the summer but I believe this rendition is my favorite.  I think the fog gives it some mood and also, I decided to incorporate some of the surrounding foliage to enhance the scene instead of it just being a linear composition.  For the most part, that was my thought process while capturing this image.  I'm sure I will have different perspective the next time I am in the vicinity of this place.  I have often taken photos of the same location to get a new visual concept  that I may have missed before. in my opinion, Photography is like a recipe; it can be altered to your liking or taste.

Linear Fog.jpg

6D Markll. 24-105 F4 USMll. ISO200. Shutter 1/125. F-Stop F4.

6 REPLIES 6

Danny

The foliage is a great touch!  Love the contrast it brings both in color value and how the organic shapes play against the straight lines.  Nice work!

Vulture678
Enthusiast

Thanks!  The hanging vines caught my eye the most and I definitely wanted to include it in the scene.  I tried to photograph it straight on but it didn't work for me, so I made sure to include it in this photo.

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

I'm always intrigued by similar photos that project the idea of infinity. I also think we don't utilize B&W enough. Color is nice but B&W seen to focus on the subject more. My complements.

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG

Thank you and I totally agree.   Also, I've dedicated all gloomy, rainy, & cloudy days to B&W exclusively because those elements add a lot of contrast to the image (IMO).  

Tronhard
VIP
VIP

Definitely like the use of (what I call) greyscale photography - it concentrates us on tone, texture and structure - in this case it enhances the change in contrast of the fog, deepening the sense of distance.  I also appreciate that you made the effort to make your verticals vertical and horizontals horizontal.  Tilting of images tends to add dynamism or drama to an image, and that would not suit this scene.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Vulture678
Enthusiast

Thank you and I very much appreciate your feedback. Being fairly new to photography, this is invaluable to me and will definitely keep this information in mind when shooting in B&W.  Again, thank you!

Announcements