cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 1DX III and EF 400 f2.8 IS II

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

After much delay due to the pandemic, I finally got a chance to try out the 1DX III for HS football.  The field lighting was a bit better than typical for a high school and allowed a 1/800 shutter speed with ISO between 2500 and 8000 depending upon the spot on the field.  I had been using a 300 f2.8 on the main body and the combination of the new 400 along with a viewfinder being constantly fogged by my KN95 mask made the new 400 a bit difficult to get used to but it felt more natural after the first quarter.  I used the 1DX III's head recognition tracking for most of the game, I think it helped under fogged viewfinder conditions but I will switch back to my usual single spot focus for the next game because I like that level of control.

Bottom line is I am very happy with the new combination and look forward to getting a bit more acclimated to it and its revised AF system.  The 1DX II replaced my 1DX as the second camera and it and the 70-200 f2.8 did their usual great job.

The first four photos were taken with the 1DX III/EF 400 and the second two with the 1DX II/EF 70-200.

RodgerAS0I1591.JPG

AS0I1961.JPG

AS0I1992.JPG

AS0I1995.JPG

AQ9I7157.JPG

AQ9I7391.JPG

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video
3 REPLIES 3

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Stupendous photos as usual Rodger.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Great captures.

In my area they still do not allow spectators at events yet. Smiley Sad

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Shadow and John,

Thank you both very much!  It was really nice to be back on the football field again.

The team listed me as coaching staff so field access wasn't an issue. I used to coach soccer so it wasn't a big stretch and I work with the football kids at practice. As a mostly retired colllege prof, it is also a good opportunity for me to keep an eye on the high school players academic eligibility and my daughter was tutoring some of the players in math and science before joining the football team so we are a good academic partnership.

Anna is kicking for football this year so it is nice to help with the team.  She had a great first game and the opponents paid for "dissing" a girl kicker on the opening kickoff by placing their returners up short.  Return guy had to backpedal 15 yards and got tackled on the 18, his first mistake was underestimating the kicker and the second was trying to return a deep ball.  She switched up styles after their first score and soccer kicked a hard rotating ball deep downfield, the returner was in the right place but not ready to handle a ball that was tough to field.  Her third kick was a regular football kick so they just didn't know what to expect, with a three touchdown lead there was no need to show them the onside kick she has been practicing 🙂

Rodger

AS0I2049.JPG

AS0I2077.JPG

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video
Announcements