cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cooper's Hawk

FloridaDrafter
Authority
Authority

These guys are fierce. At about the size of a crow, they can maneuver amongst branches and dart between trees at lightning speed to catch their favorite prey, other birds. He wasn't successful catching the Great Crested Flycatcher fledgling he was after, but if you look, you can see a few feathers in his lower beak from the one that got away.

These were shot with the EOS R5 and RF 100-500mm f/4.5-7.1 L IS USM lens. 1/800th, f/7.1, ISO 640

Coopers Hawk-001a.JPGCrop from previous full body shot.Crop from previous full body shot.Coopers Hawk Fly-1Sa.jpgIntended Prey: Great Crested Flycatcher Fledgling.Intended Prey: Great Crested Flycatcher Fledgling.

Newton

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.
4 REPLIES 4

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Great captures Newton.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

Nice photos with detail. We have a number of photos from a Cooper's hawk that stayed around our backyard. Lots of trees and a veritable buffet of wildlife.

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

I am particularly impressed by the first two and last one.  Nice shooting!

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Thank you, Trevor! I agree that the hawk lifting off isn't great. It was right on the edge of DOF and I wasn't tracking. I had to sharpen it to within an inch of it's life to make it presentable, to me anyway. My wife on the other hand thinks that a little motion blur sometimes adds to a photo, so this one didn't go to the trash bin... Just for her, LOL.

Newton

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements