cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capturing the Red-rumped Woodpecker in Detail

adamrainoff
Contributor

20230702-275655-2.jpg

The Red-rumped Woodpecker (Dryobates kirkii) is a striking bird known for its vibrant red rump and patterned plumage. This image was taken in San Pablo de Borbur, Boyacá, Colombia, an area rich in avian diversity. The photograph captures the woodpecker perched on a branch, highlighting its distinct red and black feather patterns against the green background of the forest.

To achieve this shot, I used a Canon R5 camera with an RF 800mm lens, along with a 1.4x extender for an effective focal length of 1120mm. This setup allowed me to capture the intricate details of the bird’s feathers even from a distance. Shooting at 1/180 second with an aperture of f/16 and an ISO of 3200 helped to maintain clarity and depth in the low-light conditions of the dense forest. The high ISO setting was crucial to ensure a fast enough shutter speed to freeze the bird’s subtle movements while minimizing noise in the image.

The forest’s filtered light added a natural ambiance to the image, bringing out the woodpecker’s vibrant colors without oversaturation. This shot is a testament to the importance of technical precision and patience in wildlife photography. My goal with this image was to encapsulate the essence of the Red-rumped Woodpecker in its natural habitat, emphasizing the beauty and fragility of Colombia’s avian biodiversity.

©2023 Adam Rainoff Photographer

0 REPLIES 0
Announcements