cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1/2 Moon Shot

DBR
Contributor

I got into DSLR photography a year ago to be a hobby for myself, since I'm going through a divorce.  I bought a year ago the EOS Rebel T5i, and I've been having fun playing around, and becoming a better nature photographer.  Most recently, I've been taking night photographs of the Moon. I just took these tonight here in Philadelphia, I'd love to know what your thoughts are.

I took the photos with my Rebel T5i, Canon Zoom Lense EF 75-300mm, ISO 600, Fr 5.6 Shutter 1/250.

IMG_1643.JPGIMG_8829.CR2 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

SamanthaW

Hello! 

We are loving the crisp detail you captured in that out of this world moon shot. We look forward to seeing more of your photography, keep up the great work!

View solution in original post

@DBR wrote:

Thanks for the infor on the Looey 11 Rule. I'm going to take this info, and put it in use for the next 1/2 & 1/4 moon shots I do.

You can read more about it at the following link.  Do a web search for more links on how to photograph the Moon.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Looney_11_rule

Remember, those exposure settings are a starting point for a full moon.  They are not law. 

Here are some tips.  Use a sturdy tripod and tripod head.  Use the shutter delay timer, so as to minimuze the amount of camera shake caused by your hand.  If your camera has mirror lockup, then use that, too.

I would suggest switch your lens to MF, manual focusing, mode.  I use Live View to focus, and then magnify the image so that i can get see the details.  This is where having a strong and robust tripod head and tripod legs becomes critical.  Because turning the focus ring can look like a major earthquake is taking place.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

SamanthaW

Hello! 

We are loving the crisp detail you captured in that out of this world moon shot. We look forward to seeing more of your photography, keep up the great work!

Thank you Samantha, I was reading different articles over the internet to help me try to photograph the Moon at night. I was always getting bad pictures, and getting disappointed. But I kept on trying, and trying. So tonight I took a chance on what i read, and I was very surprised at the outcome.  I will be taking more photos like this, and I'm going to go out to the country here in Pennsylvania to get more night sky pictures.

DBR
Contributor

Well I think I've done a bit better with this Full Moon Shot from Sunday Night March 12, 2017.  I took it with the same Manual Settings I did with the 1/2 Moon.  Let me know what you think...

IMG_1651.JPGIMG_1654.JPG

The rule of thumb for shooting a full moon is the "Looney 11" rule.  Basically, it says your settings should be 1/100, f/11, ISO 100.  Those settings are not law, but consider them to be a starting point.  Photographing a half or quarter moon will need a little more light entering the camera.

IMG_2015_07_230146.jpg

Photographing the moon is tricky.  The moon is perfect reflector of sunlight.  I would compare photographing the moon to trying to photography dust on a lit light bulb.  Half and quarter moon photos tend to look better than full moons because of shadows in the craters.  During a full moon the sun is shining straight down into craters, and you get no shadows.

Thanks for the infor on the Looey 11 Rule. I'm going to take this info, and put it in use for the next 1/2 & 1/4 moon shots I do.

@DBR wrote:

You can read more about it at the following link.  Do a web search for more links on how to photograph the Moon.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Looney_11_rule

Remember, those exposure settings are a starting point for a full moon.  They are not law. 

Here are some tips.  Use a sturdy tripod and tripod head.  Use the shutter delay timer, so as to minimuze the amount of camera shake caused by your hand.  If your camera has mirror lockup, then use that, too.

I would suggest switch your lens to MF, manual focusing, mode.  I use Live View to focus, and then magnify the image so that i can get see the details.  This is where having a strong and robust tripod head and tripod legs becomes critical.  Because turning the focus ring can look like a major earthquake is taking place.

Remember when I said that the Moon is a near perfect reflector of sunlight.  You can use the Moon to light up landscapes like daylight.  It behaves like a very weak version of the sun.  Can you see the lit lights in the distances?

IMG_6807-4.jpg

Use Av mode, which sets a shutter speed for you.  Set your aperture to about f/5.6, and ISO to 100.  Set WB to daylight.

pris796
Enthusiast

1/800

F5/6

ISO 200

300MM

T3

pris796

IMG_4184.JPG

WOW!!!!

Now, that's an amazing shot. I did something like that 29 years ago w/ an Olympus 33mm non digital of planes in formation. still have the shot, but nothing like what you took...

Announcements