cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canoscan 9000f crashes on Preview

iota0299
Apprentice

Hello,

I've been using my Canoscan 9000f for a few weeks now (bought it secondhand) and it was working great, however, recently, the Scangear software crashes whenever I try to Preview or Scan film. There is no error message when this happens- it just crashes once the preview hits 100%.

I am using MP Navigator EX 3.1.5 and Driver version 16.0.5. This issue happens on my Windows 11 desktop and Windows 10 laptop. I have tried reinstalling the driver and MP Navigator software on both machines but the issue persists. I used the demo version of VueScan (not in the position to buy it yet) and it was able to scan no worries.  

Am I missing something? Do I need to request anything from the person who sold me the scanner?

Thanks,

Max

5 REPLIES 5

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

A repair or reinstall of drivers or an application having issues on top of an existing install doesn't always help.  You might try removing the device, disconnecting from USB, uninstalling the drivers and any supporting applications, restarting, then reinstalling the drivers, connecting the device when prompted, and finally reinstalling any supporting applications.  The scanner should be connected directly to an available USB port and not to a hub or adapter.  There is no guarantee this will work, but it is a more comprehensive approach.  Since the behavior can be reproduced, I would review the system event viewer logs and see if any additional information is available that might help identify the cause or fault.  Both operating systems also include troubleshooters. 

I suspect the issue is software related since VueScan is working.   The 9000F mkII has newer drivers than the 9000F.  I do not recommend this. but its an option if you want to try.  Its possible to exclude hardware from a drivers package, I don't know if that would be the case here.  You can try if you wish.  If you do try, make sure to completely uninstall the mkI drivers first, disconnect the scanner, and restart before you run the mkII drivers. No idea or promises it will work.  The older hardware might not be compatible.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

I'll give that a try and I'll report back soon.

I'll uninstall all drivers for the scanner, any other scanning software and MP navigator and then install the series ii drivers.

Thank you for all the help 🙂

Alright, I've tried what was suggested and, initially, it worked. I was able to scan 2 film photos at 6400 dpi with no issue. I remounted the film to scan another set and then Scangear and MP navigator crashed upon preview as before. I'm not even able to use the platen mode- the software just stays on 'Scanner is warming up...' before giving me an error Code 5, 205, 52.

I was not able to install the 9000f mark ii drivers as the installer couldn't detect a valid scanner (i.e: I have a mark i scanner and it was preventing me from installing the 'incorrect' drivers), but what helped me initially was just restarting the pc whenever I installed anything new, such as drivers or the software itself. 

The system event viewer logs gave me an 'Event 1000, Application Error', so i ran the command sfc /scannow in cmd as admin, but that did not solve the issue. 

Is there any way to reset the scanner itself by pressing some kind of series of buttons? I'm really not in the position to buy vuescan or silverfast as of now and this error started happening midway through scanning my friend's photos.

Thank you in advance,

Max

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

I don't think I would bother trying to chase this down.  Installing the mkII drivers was a longshot at best.  

The error indicates a communication failure and Event 1000 is a generic code for "something is wrong" ☹️

You can spend more time troubleshooting, trying a different graphic, hardware, chipset or system driver.  Maybe even a BIOS update, but if using the scanner is important, I'd buy the Hamrick software and call it a day. Just be completely sure the issue is not hardware related before you drop the cash on a 3rd party solution.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Honestly, I may as well just save up for (or find a more 'cost-effective') way to get Vuescan or Silverfast. The scanner worked just fine using the demo version of their software and I'm pretty done with trying to fix the main issue.

Thank you for all the help though, I really appreciate it 🙂

click here to view the gallery
Announcements