cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CanoScan LiDE 300 "Cannot Communicate" Error

Smudger
Contributor

300 LiDE scanner common fault with no fix - Is it something Canon should/could address?

I've used my scanner probably half a dozen times without issue - it's a great unit but I needed it last week and got the attached error message. I checked on various forums and noted that scanner head was parking on the hinge side - which seems o be the tell tale problem, also the warming up message doesn't appear. Smudger_0-1682619600270.jpeg

I couldn't find any any useful advise online except lots of YouTube videos from Asia taking their scanner to pieces and washing circuit boards with petrol etc! so borrowed another 300 LiDE scanner, plugged it in and amazingly it works perfectly - so defiantly not driver or USB cable related problem, the fault seems to be in the scanner itself. Any advise would be appreciated.

This seems to be a common fault though - there must be a simple fix, or at least a reasonable answer to the problem, even if it's a faulty component. I'm loathed to simply buy another one as I use it infrequently - hence my warranty expiring on a unit which has had little use!

6 REPLIES 6

normadel
Authority
Authority

This message isn't pointing to a fault. It's telling you the computer doesn't see the scanner at all.

Did you try your scanner on the computer the borrowed scanner came from? The problem could be in the USB cable itself. Do you have another one?

When I plug the scanner in, the computer makes the usb ping and the scanner head tracks from the hinged end to the button end does a bit of a jig light comes on then off and it then tracks back to the hinged end and parks, when I press any button on the scanner the fault appears. On the borrowed scanner, same ping when plugged in, the scanner head is already at the button end, it moves back and forwards a little bit and stays parked there, when I press a button, the scanner lights up and tracks to the hinge end and then light off, comes back to the button end and parks.

I used the same cable and software for both scanners, the faulty scanner parks at the hinge end which is what a Cannon tech pointed out in a previous fault question with the same fault code.

normadel
Authority
Authority

To simplify, please....Are you saying the borrowed scanner works fine on your computer and the other computer? And your scanner fails on both computers?

Yes, borrowed scanner works fine on both The only thing faulty is my scanner - cable and software working fine. I guess the scanner head being at the hinge is the main factor - After finding repair will cost 50% more than buying new, I have now bought a new scanner and got with same results - works fine with existing cable and software but scanner 'parks' at wrong end. (see image).

I hate the 'throw away' world we live in and for the sake of one small faulty component, it is cheaper to simply bin it... And they tell us to be environmentally aware! Scanner head default to wrong endScanner head default to wrong end

swalk88
Apprentice

Hi,

Was there any solution to this problem? I also am experiencing it.

Sam

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

The other user's issue was his scanner.  Likely a component or electrical malfunction.  An identical device worked. 

In your situation, test the following:

-Try connecting the cable to a different port on your computer

-Replace the cable

Uninstall the scanner software, disconnect the scanner and restart your computer.

Visit the Lide300 support portal, download the latest driver for your OS

Canon Support for CanoScan LIDE 300 | Canon U.S.A., Inc.

Run the installer, follow the prompts

Do not connect the scanner to your computer until prompted to do so.

If the scanners head does not sweep and return to the ready position.  Its has malfunctioned and will need to be replaced.  The cost to ship and repair would exceed the cost of replacement.

New is about $70

CanoScan LIDE 300 (canon.com)  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements