cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XH A1's problem: Turning on

JesseR5
Contributor

Hello! 

This is my first camcorder that I have ever purchased. I know how to turn on the device and it worked before. 

My issue is when I turn on my XHA1 camcorder, my LCD monitor and lens are not showing footage. Just a black screen. I even checked if I have the lens protector on my lens and it is not attached. I thought it would be batteries, so I bought a BP-950 battery pack and it's not that. 

I don't know what's the issue. Can anyone help me? 

Also, the camcorder is an Canon Camcorder XHA1 HDV 1080i. 

3 REPLIES 3

Mark35mmF2
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi there,

From what you are describing it sounds very likely the camcorder's image sensor is no longer responding. Canon no longer has parts to repair these camcorders, but an independent repair facility might be able to pull parts from another camcorder of the same model. To confirm that the image sensor is the issue you would try to playback footage that is already recorded on a miniDV tape. If the footage shows on the screen but in camera mode you see nothing then you would be able to tell with more certainty that the image sensor is most likely the issue.

3leggeddog
Apprentice

In case anyone else has a similar issue as being a first time user or owner of an XH-A1, not having previously used or handled one in any way ever, and/or not have yet read the user manual, how to power on the XH-A1 is not as simple as an ON/OFF button or toggle-switch, like on many devices. 

To power on an XH-A1

• Find the circular-shaped round selector dial on the left side near the rear section of the body (under the carrying handle).
  • Use a finger and trace around the edge of that selector dial until you feel (or see) a small button which can be depressed inward, gently but firmly ( do not release / do not let go ).
  • Once depressed, rotate the selector dial to any of the first few available options.

Rotating the selector dial will then power on the XH-A1.

• The LED face of the selector dial will illuminate immediately, further confirming the XH-A1 is powered ON

Oh no! 😣

Announcements