cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XF605 user tips and tricks

500mph
Contributor

Hello,

Are there any other members here using the new XF605. I would love to start a chat group about tips and tricks and great ideas to get the most out of this great video camera.

24 REPLIES 24

NickMDal
Enthusiast

Hi again.  I watched your video and can see the problems. Low light and high detail combined together are the most difficult conditions for video.  Additionally, you're shooting in Winter so that there is an enormous amount of detail in the branches and twigs of the dormant trees.  This means that the camera has to compress an enormous amount of information per frame with a minimal amount of light.

The result is always a lifeless looking image. The other scene was shot in summer and in sunlight.  Direct sunlight, properly exposed with ND will always give the best image.  So I would say in that situation, it would be virtually impossible for you to match the crispness of the image you're comparing two.

Yes image stabilization does crop the picture a bit.  However, handheld, especially in that situation demands IS.  The best you could have done in that situation is to go with a low aperture (in order to soften the complex background) and have your subjects agreed to some softened fill lighting.

I am confident in that camera. It is arguably the best camcorder on the market.  Here is a video that was filmed mostly with a 605. All the wildlife footage was.  In these scenes, we used a Raynox 1.8x teleconverter and still produced stunning results.

Regarding framerate, learn the 180 rule and follow it, until you have an advanced understanding.

When I first started out, I was always frustrated with low-quality imagery like yours. Since we shoot mostly wildlife, the circumstances were often just like yours. So you have to learn how to optimize your footage by choosing your dates, locations, angles and things I mentioned above.  Thanks for sharing this!  I'm happy to see that others are having to face a similar learning curve 😄

https://www.dallasnaturechannel.com/videos/dallas-winter-wildlife-birds/

Hi Nick, just wanted to get your thoughts on ISO 800 vs ISO 500 for shooting in light. With sunlight, should we film ISO 500 since the extra sensitivity isn’t needed?

reynoldss19
Contributor

Hi Nick, thanks so much for the response. That was some awesome film. Those colors are really popping! Really some amazing shots. Something I did tonight was notice that when I was in dynamic IS, the angle of view was quite pinched and zoomed in to begin with (like I said earlier). When going to a standard IS, I noticed it zoomed back out to full frame, resulting in clearer picture. Also, I applied the 180 rule to my shots, and that definitely gave my film a more life like motion. I believe the standard IS will greatly assist with zooming in on the golf ball. In the end I completely agree, picking your spots is key. I greatly appreciate your help, and I am sure I will make my way back to this conversation in the future😂 Be well, and again thank you very very much. Sam

500mph
Contributor

Hey All,

We have been using the RODE Wireless Go II and PRO for a while and I am just asking what wireless systems everyone else is using. The RODE products are ok (depending on Lav mics used), just looking for a little bit better quality.

Hey 500, I have the Rode VideoMic Pro. And external mics we use rode wireless go.

Announcements