cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Video EOS discussions please

cdn-bigfoot
Contributor

The Cinema EOS section appears to be suffering from a lack of use or interest.  Numbers of C100-C500 cameras are very limited compared to the number of 5Dmkii, 5Dmkiii, 7D and others using EOS cameras for video.   These posts are getting lost in the "Camera" section.

Please rename the Cinema EOS section to allow use by all EOS video shooters. Many C100-C500 shooters also use 5Dmkii, 5Dmkiii and 7D cameras. Discussion of all these products in a video discussion would be benficial.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jfo,

I appreciate you are helping others.  I too often read and offer advice to members with questions to which I may have an answer.  It's exactly members like you that a succesful forum depends. I only hope to attract as many members that can offer me advice and share ideas. I believe that we will attract far more experienced and knowledgable members to a forum that offers a two way exchange for them.

I fear the 5Dmkii, 5Dmkiii and 7D video questions are lost among the throng of EOS questions and threads. I would welcome EOS Cinema users to offer their support to the HDSLR users since most of them would have good experience with that platform. Trust me when I say, Video is Video.  I have used more video cameras in the last 25 years as a pro than I care to remember. And discussions related to the medium is always of interest to me.

Thanks

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

jfo
Rising Star

I disagree.  The forum sections are divided naturally by product line and not usage.  It'll be a whole different can of worms to manage discussion of the same products but across different usages (stills vs video, different segments within each of those categories).

(Though how "lenses" falls under 'Camera' even though those same lenses can be used on Cinema EOS products means this isn't black and white, unfortunately)

If this was 'Video EOS', when users of C100-C500 cameras do need specific help or have a specific question, I think their posts will be overwhelming lost in the discussions of HDSLR video. Cinema EOS users are limited, as you said, and this forum reflects that to address their specific needs as they arise. 

I'm not sure if Canon wants to create a hub of usage specific discussion, but at tha time, it'll be a monumental task.  Most third-party forums/communities (e.g. POTN, Cinema 5D) are easier in that they are exclusively photography or HDSLR-focused, and then they can divide themselves up by product line within that community.  How to organize by both product line and usage.... who knows??

@jfo wrote:

I disagree.  The forum sections are divided naturally by product line and not usage.  It'll be a whole different can of worms to manage discussion of the same products but across different usages (stills vs video, different segments within each of those categories). 

I expect that Canon has a plan to allow the forum to evolve over time.  Mine was a suggestion based on how I use the other forums of which I am a member. Consider that the forum categories are still too broad. A Canon T3i and a Canon 1Dx being lumped into the same discussion category will fail. The discussions that pros or enthusiastic amateurs have are very different than the discussions rank amateurs will have. Trying to find topics related to HDSLR video in a "Camera" group bogged down with consumers asking how to load a battery in their camera is not something most will endure.  I suspect unless this forum evolves to accomodate how different people use their cameras it will become a group for complaints serviced by Canon Admin's trying to help them out.  Anyone who has spent any amount of time on forums knows that the most valuable resource is the input of experienced members. If it becomes too cumbersome they will go elsewhere.

@cdn-bigfoot wrote:

@jfo wrote:

A Canon T3i and a Canon 1Dx being lumped into the same discussion group is ridiculous. The discussions pros or enthusiastic amateurs have are very different than the discussions rank amateurs will have. Trying to find topics related to HDSLR video in a "Camera" group bogged down with consumers asking how to load a battery in their camera is not something most will endure.  I suspect unless this forum evolves to accomodate how different people use their cameras it will become a group for complaints serviced by Canon Admin's trying to help them out.  Anyone who has spent any amount of time on forums knows that the most valuable resource is the input of experienced members. If it becomes too cumbersome they will go elsewhere.

I TOTALLY agree.  I'm in the trenches helping with some pretty newbie questions, but since these are genuine questions of users really trying to get to know and use their cameras, I'm excited with doing it.  I think you answered your own question/request posed at the start of this topic, though.... There is absolutely the same possibility for this kind of situation for Cinema EOS owners/users in a combined "Video EOS" forum!  e.g. something vague and mundane like "What's the best settings to get the best video?"  A "Video EOS" forum has the potential to create the exact environmont you are warning against where 'experienced members' will not participate.

Canon has expressed that as the numbers of discussions grow, then they'll create sections to house them; otherwise there's the potential for dozens of sections to start out empty.  As you pointed out, when the "EOS" board grows, it'll probably make sense to separate out the Rebel product line from the 7D, 5D, and 1D's.  As of now, though 1D users and their topics aren't numerous, and I think having "pros and enthusiastic amateurs" browsing all the EOS topics/questions is AWESOME in that they are having a good attitude and sharing knowledge and advice with the lowly "rank amateurs". This is a community, and it will grow and evolve with the help of these contributors -- its a bit too soon to segregate out the "valuable resources" from the people that need their help.

jfo,

I appreciate you are helping others.  I too often read and offer advice to members with questions to which I may have an answer.  It's exactly members like you that a succesful forum depends. I only hope to attract as many members that can offer me advice and share ideas. I believe that we will attract far more experienced and knowledgable members to a forum that offers a two way exchange for them.

I fear the 5Dmkii, 5Dmkiii and 7D video questions are lost among the throng of EOS questions and threads. I would welcome EOS Cinema users to offer their support to the HDSLR users since most of them would have good experience with that platform. Trust me when I say, Video is Video.  I have used more video cameras in the last 25 years as a pro than I care to remember. And discussions related to the medium is always of interest to me.

Thanks

Announcements