cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R5C Video Zebra display bug with latest firmware?

portemantho
Apprentice

Hello!

I'm shooting with my new R5C and 5.2mm f/2.8L Dual Fisheye. I updated the firmware to 1.0.7.1 recently and I think I'm experiencing a regression in the zebra functionality.

My Zebra setting is: Zebra 1 Level 70% ±5%; Zebra 2 Level 95%; Zebra 2 On on the LCD.

IMG_3482.JPG

However, something odd is happening: false colors report that the image outside is so overexposed the white is clipped (red), and the edges of the tree are one stop short of clipping (yellow).

Somehow the tree edges seem to fall in the Zebra 1 65-75% luminosity band (isn't that a bit low for just a stop short of white?), and nothing falls under the Zebra2 95%+ band somehow?

Zebra 2: nothing at all above 95%? It seems hard to believe.Zebra 2: nothing at all above 95%? It seems hard to believe.Zebra 1: the edges of the tree fall in the 70% ±5% band I set for it, which seems weird at only one stop short of white clipping.Zebra 1: the edges of the tree fall in the 70% ±5% band I set for it, which seems weird at only one stop short of white clipping.False colors: a whole lot of red, the edges of the tree are one stop under white (yellow).False colors: a whole lot of red, the edges of the tree are one stop under white (yellow).

In the pictures above, I expect the red part of the false color, and then parts of the yellow part to be visible with Zebra 2. Why is it not the case? I only used the camera for two weeks before updating the firmware, but I seem to recall Zebra 2 worked more reliably.

2 REPLIES 2

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Are you able to reproduce this with a non VR lens?  Maybe this doesn't matter?  Asking because I don't have a RF 5.2mm.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Hello Rick,

thanks for your answer! Unfortunately I do not have any other lens at my disposal at the moment.
I've been enjoying my camera a lot though so it won't be long before I get at least a kit lens. 🙂
Thanks!

click here to view the gallery
Announcements